It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:10 am

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tutorial Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:18 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

He did at least two and so did I. Several good ones from jxtutorials too (Hers are the bests actually. Very talented designer and she explains things well too.) And if you look for them, there are many from lesser known youtubers, some of them showing you how to work with templates and filling every box with something else, stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:08 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Great, thanks Jolie.Guess i need to search more.
Mike another idea is to take any PS tutorial and make it in Gimp.
A lot of times this can be pretty advanced.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:52 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Great, thanks Jolie.Guess i need to search more.
Mike another idea is to take any PS tutorial and make it in Gimp.
A lot of times this can be pretty advanced.

I didn't think of that, I'll give that a try as well, some maybe already made though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:18 am  (#14) 
Administrator

Here's a really cool PhotoShop tutorial for liquid filled glass text. Would be nice to have a gimp tut for it.

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/text-effects-tutorials/liquid-filled-glass-text-effect/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:27 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I love these ideas, that text one I believe I can achieve in Gimp. Thanks for the idea!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:52 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Wow...take my plastic text tutorial...duplicate the text and cut it with the paths tool...add a gradient and you would have it.Glossy, see thru, and everything. =)

Plastic Text in GIMP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:36 am  (#17) 
Administrator

Cool idea Rod! Should work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:16 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Just follow the tutorial you posted:
Quote:
Here's a really cool PhotoShop tutorial for liquid filled glass text. Would be nice to have a gimp tut for it.

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/text- ... xt-effect/

The only major difference was in the contours for each layer style setting done in PS. The Layer Effects script/plug-in does not have the identical set of contours. So when doing this tutorial, instead of log, try half round.

Forgot to add, that rasterize in GIMP works differently, since you can't right click a layer and select "rasterize". To do this in GIMP, create a transparent layer beneath the layer needing rasterized, then right click that new transparent layer and select "merge down".

To get the second level light glare shown in the PS tutorial (Layer Effects didn't have triple ring, so I used double ring), I shrank the text path a few pixels and added a white stroke (about 2px) then blurred it 8px. That could probably be improved a little, I just intended to get through the tutorial to see how complicated it would be.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:38 pm  (#19) 
Administrator

Totally wet mahvin! :mrgreen: Nice. :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:51 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

O: I actually enjoyed the tute. Each picture was settings for the highlighted tab shown. I wanted to break down the Layer Effects menu for each style on the menu, and make the connection between PS and GIMP, because a few settings were puzzling. Some examples would be: Bevel and Emboss, Inner bevel depth at 100%. In GIMP Layer Effects, the slider isn't in percentage, you need to move the slider to 65.

PS has drop shadow "distance", would that be "blur" in GIMP? Some settings don't match up, but most do. The easiest way to test these settings, is to make a colored square (any color other than white and black, because these are usually shadow/highlight colors). Using a square over a circle, because you'll get to see what it does to corners. Using a circle won't show you those results.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next