It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Light 2 Height compiled for win32 Gimp-2.8
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

This plugin uses light colors in an image to produce either horizontal 3-D or height 3-D extrusion.
Darker being lowest lighter being highest.Height is adjustable as well as other parameters.

Fun to play with. :)

Result

Zip attached with c file.
To install just place the execute file in your plugins folder.
You will find the filter at "Filters>Map>Light to Height

Attachment:
l2height-0.7-win32.zip [34.47 KiB]
Downloaded 704 times

enjoy!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Light 2 Height compiled for win32 Gimp-2.8
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:03 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Here is an example of my stop sign image i created yesterday.This kind of gives you a idea what this filter is capable of. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:50 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

This would be really useful to me. Is there a 2.6 version?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
This would be really useful to me. Is there a 2.6 version?

You can try testing this one in Gimp-2.6, It should work. :)

If not i do have another version for Gimp-2.6.12 i believe somewhere on this website.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent. It works fine - thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:06 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Rod! Another very useful script working in Gimp 2.6.11 - I wanted a quick way of producing isometric game objects, this is just the trick. Can you give a quick outline of compiling the script? Is it straight forward?

Attachments:
LeopardLayer copy.png
LeopardLayer copy.png [ 17.49 KiB | Viewed 3922 times ]
Transformation.png
Transformation.png [ 1.72 KiB | Viewed 3922 times ]
LeopardLayer.png
LeopardLayer.png [ 16.64 KiB | Viewed 3922 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:08 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

step7 wrote:
Thanks Rod! Another very useful script working in Gimp 2.6.11 - I wanted a quick way of producing isometric game objects, this is just the trick. Can you give a quick outline of compiling the script? Is it straight forward?

Compiling in Windows is tricky but Partha lays it out real clear on his website.
You will need to compile Gimp so you have the gimptool-2.0

Once you have successfully compiled BABL, GEGL, and Gimp you should be able to compile just about any c plugin.
I do more compiling of c plug-ins than anything else. :) ...
Although i have compiled Gimp versions -2.6.12, 2.7, 2.7.5, and 2.8.

http://www.partha.com has all your environment setup needs, and will answer any of your compiling questions. :)

Once you have the environment setup its as simple as opening your Msys command window , cd to the c file directory, and typing ...
gimptool-2.0 --build file.c :) - you need Gimp compiled because you need the gimp h files, and the gimptool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Compiling Gimp looks hairy! I'm not sure I'm ready for that and I'm looking to stick with 2.6.11 (only because 2.8 was totally unstable on my system when I tried it a couple of months back - have things improved?).

I was wondering if I could set up a tool chain for compiling plugins without compiling Gimp (probably same difference though it would most likely be capable of compiling Gimp). I got stuck trying to find a GTK+ 2.16.6 bundle though. I take it you compiled this plugin using library from GTK+ 2.24.10? The resulting plugin works fine with my 2.6 version of Gimp so I'm wondering could I do the same?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

This is a pretty cool script. I have found that it is good for effectively rotating an already made height map image. The photo below shows what I started out with as a height map bear. And to the right of that is what it looks like after using the filter. And below is what the images look like after inverting the color to a white back ground and using the emboss filter followed by colorize.

I'm wondering where this script came from and are there any others like it?

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:25 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

PegLeg44 wrote:
This is a pretty cool script. I have found that it is good for effectively rotating an already made height map image. The photo below shows what I started out with as a height map bear. And to the right of that is what it looks like after using the filter. And below is what the images look like after inverting the color to a white back ground and using the emboss filter followed by colorize.

I'm wondering where this script came from and are there any others like it?

Alan

The original author of the c plugin file is Kyoichiro Suda.

The website is here (no longer working) - http://sudakyo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/gimp/l ... ght_e.html
Another great plugin by this author is "Focus Blur"
I don't know of any others right off the bat.
I am pretty sure Sam has windows binaries compiled for Gimp-2.6.12 on the gimp registry somewhere.
Sam may know more about the author. :)

step7 wrote:
Compiling Gimp looks hairy! I'm not sure I'm ready for that and I'm looking to stick with 2.6.11 (only because 2.8 was totally unstable on my system when I tried it a couple of months back - have things improved?).

I was wondering if I could set up a tool chain for compiling plugins without compiling Gimp (probably same difference though it would most likely be capable of compiling Gimp). I got stuck trying to find a GTK+ 2.16.6 bundle though. I take it you compiled this plugin using library from GTK+ 2.24.10? The resulting plugin works fine with my 2.6 version of Gimp so I'm wondering could I do the same?

Yes i use all the latest dependencies. These can be found on Parthas website (links to them). I have heard compiling just c plugins is possible but i have never successfully accomplished this.Only after compiling Gimp was i able to do this on Windows.It just doesn't seem to work without a full Gimp version install with a path to the pkg config pc files added to the export PATH variable in the ect\profile file. :)

I also use mono

Example code -
if [ $MSYSTEM == MINGW32 ]; then
export PATH=".:/usr/mono/lib:/usr/mono/include:/usr/mono/bin:/opt/gimp-2.8/bin:/opt/lib:/opt/perl/bin/:/opt/bin:/opt/lib/bin:/bin:/mingw/bin:/usr/gtk/include:c:/usr/gtk/bin:/usr/python:/usr/python/Lib/site-packages"
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/python
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lcms/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/ruby/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/gimp-2.8/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/mono/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/gtk/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/python/Lib/pkgconfig
fi

Then your fstab file would look like this -
C:\mingw\    /mingw
C:\src\    /usr/src
C:\Python27    /usr/python
C:\gtk    /usr/gtk
c:\Perl   /opt/perl
c:\Mono   /usr/mono
c:\Ruby193 /usr/ruby
c:\Java   /usr/java
c:\fltk   /usr/fltk
c:\flex   /usr/flex
c:\lcms   /usr/lcms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, thanks Rod, I'm going to play with this when I have a little more time as I'd like to be able to tweak plugins like this.

What a shame Mr. Suda's site is no more :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:47 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

step7 wrote:
Ok, thanks Rod, I'm going to play with this when I have a little more time as I'd like to be able to tweak plugins like this.

What a shame Mr. Suda's site is no more :(

I have experience in tweaking some aspects of the default Gimp plugins for instance changing preview window sizes and the like.
If you want to tweak the c file i can re compile them for testing. I have no problem with that. :bigthup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:10 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

That's a cool offer Rod! It will only be viable for small "tweaks", unless you fancy debugging rafts of my poorly formed C code (haven't worked with C for years) - I will have to bite the bullet and get tooled up at some point, I know that point will come when I started hitting the limits of scripted plugins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:54 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Bonjour,

Version Gimp 64-bit Windows (with sources) :
http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/l2height-0.7-64bits.zip

422599 bytes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Pretty cool. Look forward to trying it out.