It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compiling Normalmap and DDS plugin's on Ubuntu GNU/Linux
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:44 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I've seen on the Prokoudine blog that new versions of these plugins have been released:
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... r-gimp-2.8
---
Note: You can find old versions for this plugins in official ubuntu repo (Normalmap in "gimp-normalmap" or "gimp-plugin-registry" and DDS from "gimp-dds")
---
I have pre-installed many dependencies needed to compile GIMP plugins and may forget a few. So please carefully read the "Readme" or "Install" file when you download the plugin sources. The dependencies are listed there and if you lack any dependency, when you run "make" terminal will let you know.
Is not difficult to find the dependencies. For example if the "Install" file indicates that you need "Pango", you search your package manager the word "pango" (I recommend Synaptic). You should look especially packages that end in "dev" and usually begin with "lib". For example: "libpango1.0-dev"
Well, let's begin:
Install the basics for compiling:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Download the source code of each plugin (gimp-normalmap-1.2.3.tar.bz2 and gimp-dds-2.1.0.tar.bz2):
https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/downloads/list
https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list

***Normalmap plugin

As I said before, you will find the necessary dependencies to compile. Known packages needed are:
sudo apt-get install pkg-config libgtk-3-dev libglib2.0-dev libgimp2.0-dev libgtkglext1-dev libglew1.6-dev

Create some symbolic links needed in Ubuntu, but you can get errors like:
normalmap.c:26:21: error fatal: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [normalmap.o] Error 1
or
/usr/include/gdk/gdkconfig.h:13:18: error fatal: glib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
or
usr/include/glib/gtypes.h:34:24: error fatal: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Then we create those symbolic links:
sudo ln -s /usr/include/gtk-3.0/* /usr/include

sudo ln -s /usr/include/glib-2.0/* /usr/include

Now unpack the file you had downloaded "gimp-normalmap-1.2.3.tar.bz2" and enter from your terminal to "gimp-normalmap-1.2.3" folder.
Run "make":
make

If all has gone well, you will now see the binary plugin called "normalmap" inside this folder.
You should always check that file binary is executable. By default after compiling should be executable. But you can change the property from the file browser or from the terminal with "chmod +x". It is good practice that you rename the plugin with the appropriate version:
mv normalmap normalmap_1.2.3

Now copy that binary to your GIMP plugins folder /home/YOUR_USER/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/
You can find the plugin in Filters > Map

***DDS plugin

Known packages needed are:
sudo apt-get install libatk1.0-dev libpango1.0-dev

Now unpack the file you had downloaded "gimp-dds-2.1.0.tar.bz2" and enter from your terminal to "gimp-dds-2.1.0" folder.
Run "make":
make

If all has gone well, you will now see the binary plugin called "dds" inside this folder.
You should always check that file binary is executable. By default after compiling should be executable. But you can change the property from the file browser or from the terminal with "chmod +x". It is good practice that you rename the plugin with the appropriate version:
mv dds dds_2.1.0

Now copy that binary to your GIMP plugins folder /home/YOUR_USER/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/

Now you can import dds files from File > Open and you can Save As DDS in File > Export to, and then below the dialog that opens choose DDS in file type and in "Name" use ".dds" extension.

Regards.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Compiling Normalmap and DDS plugin's on Ubuntu GNU/Linux
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:10 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

YAFU wrote:
I've seen on the Prokoudine blog that new versions of these plugins have been released:
http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... r-gimp-2.8

Not my blog. The rest is correct :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

prokoudine wrote:
Not my blog. The rest is correct :)

Ok, but the link says "libregraphicsworld.org/blog" :)

Anyway, great website!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 am  (#4) 

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU YAFU
THANK YOU SO MUCH
IT WAS ABOUT A WEEK LOOKING FOR WHAT YOU SAID.
I LOVE YOU
THANK YOU SO MUCH
GOD BLESS YOU