It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Photofont Start/PHF Photofont installer 1.5 (PSPPI-1.5)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:45 am  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

If you set this line of code to
<base x="-20" y="450" /> <--- change y to 450 instead of 500 and the baseline looks better. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:55 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I think i got it.Thanks for posting that image it helped me a lot. :)
Here is how the small letter glyphs need to be coded.
            <glyph id="h">
   <image id="v0" type="photo">
    <shape system="images/nonCaps/h.png">
     <ppm int="480" />
     <bbox x="20" y="-5" width="500" height="700" />
     <base x="125" y="450" />
     <delta x="444" y="0" />
    </shape>
   </image>
  </glyph>

And the results

I will fix this right away.

Thanks again Lyle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Okay i got it fixed - attachment updated. :)

Post subject: Re: Photofont Start/PHF Photofont installer 2.0 (PSPPI-2.0)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Man, glad we got this stuff working! Still working on a theory I have, gonna work on it after work today (get off early woot!) and let you guys know. Is it possible to work these letters through shell out to say inkscape?

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Guess I was tired; didn't even notice it Rod. lol

Again, thanks for the gem. Just downloaded the latest. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Also if you want to make multiple fonts on one computer just add a folder with the name of the font, put the phf inside that as well as the images directory. Then add that.
Look at my directory setup:
GIMP Folder
--->Photofonts (where all the default ones plus the shattered font rod fixed up for me [thanks again rod L:D])
--->Broken Blue Bevel
------>BrokenBlueBevel.phf (also changed the font name inside this files to match, no more Non Embedded PHF)
------>images
--------->nonCaps

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:31 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

I was more worried about disc space.That is why i suggested a Flash USB drive for all your created glyphs. :)

I can not remember if you can use Inkscape through Shellout or not.I think i had a hard time because it has to be imported. Don't quote me on that though. :)
I use Photon 3D GO, (stuck in trial mode as the site is gone now), and Font Twister (this i purchased for 49 USD).
I created the Broken Blue Bevel font with 3D GO.

I used Fast Stone capture.
First i created my white bg and the biggest area the trial will allow. (i think 540x480)
Then i grabbed the rectangle selection with Fast Stone and when it opened i went to Edit>Make Background Transparent.Then i saved it in a images folder on my desktop.I did this with every font glyph. :)

Font Twister is much more fun to use. :clap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

I can even make cookie glyphs in Font Twister! :)

One really awesome setting in the program is the slideshow style maker.
You click the button and it makes a ginormous slideshow of styled font glyphs. :lol
Click the button again and it stops and you can pick one. Then it's just a matter of creating each glyph with that style. Pretty amazing software. I could make different style glyphs for eons with this program.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:21 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Here it is folks. :) - no need to buy any expensive software this is FREE!
Be sure to read the README and the CCL_README included.
One is the creative commons and the other is instructions on how to use everything and install it.I also include some helpful tips on not having to edit the glyph blocks in the PHF file.There are some looks into the code itself also, and what each block contains. I suggest you look into that if you want to play with the code.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
As far as i know this plugin only works for Windows and MAC.I include links in the README to download the plugin for using the phf fonts you create. - http://www.fontlab.com/photofont/photofont-start/

Whats in the file
1) the readmes - instructions and important information on Creative Commons license
2) the xcf template - all letters (CAPS only) - numbers 0 - 9 and a few common symbols like exclamation point, question mark, period, comma. You can add to this yourself.
I included almost all unicodes in the PHF code so for dollar just create a new layer with the text tool to make a dollar sign and create a path for it. Then name that layer dollar.png.Then place that dollar.png file in the
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserNameFolder\My Documents\Photofonts\images folder.
3) the complete phf file - with all map id unicodes. If you decide to add unicodes remember to place them in correct order in the glyph blocks.For instance if you place a new unicode for a symbol after a in the map id, make sure its placed after the a in the glyph blocks. :)
4) Broken Blue Bevel glyphs. Created by me so use them however you wish.

TO INSTALL-Gimp (if not for Gimp there is no need to install PSPI)
1) Download - PSPI (photoshop plugin for Gimp) - http://tml.pp.fi/gimp/pspi.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Photosh ... g-In-PSPI/
2) Download the Photofont Start plugin - install it where you install your Photo Shop plugins.
http://www.fontlab.com/photofont/photofont-start/ - open Gimp and create the PSPI path.Close Gimp.
3) Now go to C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserNameFolder\My Documents\Photofonts folder and place the PHF file in there.
4) Create another folder in the Photofonts folder. Name it - images
Create another folder inside images name it - nonCaps.
5) Download the export layers as png script here - http://registry.gimp.org/node/18440 (python is needed for this script) - http://registry.gimp.org/node/25394 for SCM - Install the Python file in your plugins folder.Install the SCM in your scripts folder.
6) Open the xcf file in Gimp and create your font/glyphs - its important that you name them correctly so name them A, B, C, - name the number layers zero, one, two and so on.I included a id map in the README so check that out for correct image naming.

Once you save those images in the Photofonts/images folder they are auto installed, and there is no need to restart Gimp. :) - so now just go to Filters>Fontlab>Photofont Start and look for the installed font in the drop down list.
The name is Non_Embedded_PHF.
Type your text and there you go. :)

I found this website image today - very cool! :)
Website and story of image can be found here.Just an example of what you can create with phf.
http://www.slanted.de/node/1361

Any problems holler at me. If anything in the zip is missing holler at me. :)

Thanks for all your support and help folks.This wouldn't have been possible without you.
The stuff -
Updated to 1.5 March 9th - added 3 new unicodes - updated the code - added Broken Blue Bevel font glyphs!
Updated to 2.0 March 9th - fixed kerning and baseline alignment.
Attachment:
Non_Embedded_PHF-v2.0.zip

Oh my....this looks complicated!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:48 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

My stupid mistake.
Misread instructions in Section 6 - just change the name (ABCPhF_xcf-A.png -> A.png) and it works.
Can you add the small letters to ABCPhF.xcf?

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:11 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:

Next version as i am working on that, and image size (making it use bigger images) now. :)

Quote:

Not really Deb. Just follow these steps.

1) download and install PSPI
2) download and install Photofont Start plugin. I have a folder on my desktop named Gimp.Inside that folder i have another named plugins.I put all my 8bf filters in there.After it is installed you need to browse to the
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserFolder\My Documents\Photofonts folder and create 2 new folders.
First create a folder named images.Inside the images folder create another folder named nonCaps.
So the directory should look like this -
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserFolder\My Documents\Photofonts\images\nonCaps
Place the PHF file you get from me in the PHOTOFONTS folder.
3) open Gimp and go to Filters>Photo Shop Filter Settings
4) create a path to your Photofont Start plugin
5) restart Gimp
6) create a new document 1000x1000 white bg
7) create a new layer transparent
8) make sure the glyph you create doesn't exceed 640 height or 480 width. (use guides if you need to)
9) select the text tool and any font - create the letter A - keep resizing until the letter fits within your guides.
10) right click the layer and select alpha to selection - go to select >to path - select>none
11) now you have a A path - select the A path layer and go choose a animated brush (colored if you have one)
12) resize the brush to what you want and go to edit>stroke path and select stroke with brush - select ok -the outline is stroked with the animated brush you chose.
13) right click your A text layer again and do a alpha to selection - select the new layer that has the color and go to select>shrink by 7 - edit>stroke selection with the brush again - keep doing this select>shrink by seven and stroke with brush until the font is filled.
14) turn off the white bg layer and save the file as A.png to the images folder you created before.Create a new layer transparent named A photofont - select that layer
15) go to Filters>Fontlab>Photofont Start and start the plugin
16) in the drop down select Non_Embedded_PHF - select 480 for size
17) Type out A ( shift + A )
18) select ok and the glyph will be created on the new layer.

19) now go make all the glyphs for the entire alphabet.
20) all caps and symbols go in the images folder
all small letters (non-capitol), go in the nonCaps folder

21) now re-open Photofont Start plugin and type whatever you want with your new font face! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:28 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Quote:

Next version as i am working on that, and image size (making it use bigger images) now. :)

Quote:

Not really Deb. Just follow these steps.

1) download and install PSPI
2) download and install Photofont Start plugin. I have a folder on my desktop named Gimp.Inside that folder i have another named plugins.I put all my 8bf filters in there.After it is installed you need to browse to the
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserFolder\My Documents\Photofonts folder and create 2 new folders.
First create a folder named images.Inside the images folder create another folder named nonCaps.
So the directory should look like this -
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserFolder\My Documents\Photofonts\images\nonCaps
Place the PHF file you get from me in the PHOTOFONTS folder.
3) open Gimp and go to Filters>Photo Shop Filter Settings
4) create a path to your Photofont Start plugin
5) restart Gimp
6) create a new document 1000x1000 white bg
7) create a new layer transparent
8) make sure the glyph you create doesn't exceed 640 height or 480 width. (use guides if you need to)
9) select the text tool and any font - create the letter A - keep resizing until the letter fits within your guides.
10) right click the layer and select alpha to selection - go to select >to path - select>none
11) now you have a A path - select the A path layer and go choose a animated brush (colored if you have one)
12) resize the brush to what you want and go to edit>stroke path and select stroke with brush - select ok -the outline is stroked with the animated brush you chose.
13) right click your A text layer again and do a alpha to selection - select the new layer that has the color and go to select>shrink by 7 - edit>stroke selection with the brush again - keep doing this select>shrink by seven and stroke with brush until the font is filled.
14) turn off the white bg layer and save the file as A.png to the images folder you created before.Create a new layer transparent named A photofont - select that layer
15) go to Filters>Fontlab>Photofont Start and start the plugin
16) in the drop down select Non_Embedded_PHF - select 480 for size
17) Type out A ( shift + A )
18) select ok and the glyph will be created on the new layer.

19) now go make all the glyphs for the entire alphabet.
20) all caps and symbols go in the images folder
all small letters (non-capitol), go in the nonCaps folder

21) now re-open Photofont Start plugin and type whatever you want with your new font face! :)

Erm....ok thank you Rod :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 am  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

You are welcome Deb.

Actually i think i am going to code 2 PHF files for the next release. The original, and another for larger images. The Photofont Start filter only allows for max size of 480, but larger images will shrink down and could provide better quality font glyphs.
I will also redesign the xcf Template to have small letters included. :)

I am also looking into getting this to work with SVG files.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 am  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP is the development ....
Thank You for PHF photofont installer.
Quote:
Next version as i am working on That, and image size

ROD - Please, as soon as possible

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 am  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

It will be soon.Probably sometime today or tonight.

I am currently trying to re-code another 8bf PhotoFont plug-in to except larger glyph sizes than 480. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:17 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

Hopefully that works, and wouldn't you want to stay at the max the PHF Start takes for the file size? Doesn't forcing the file to shrink create artifacts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

I am attempting to code a new plugin. :)
It will most likely have a different interface and a drop down with more choices for size.
I am still working on it, and probably will be for a while before i test it.

Work in progress.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

Looking forward to it, calling spot as first tester L:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

You got it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

I found out yesterday if i create the PHF with a huge point size, they will open with that size in PS Start. :)
The drop down list will change to reflect the size.ie... if i create a font with a size of 1200 pts, open that PHF in ps Start, it will go to 480 in the drop menu then right to 1200 (if i am using that PHF file)

Pretty cool.I will start making some more of these guys if your still interested.I have everything working i need to create them again.

Also does anyone have the shattered type PHF i created earlier? I lost that file with my windows install.Or perhaps a link to the letters again?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next