It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for a "Blending" - Script-fu or plug in
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 am  (#31) 
Global Moderator

At the top- of the page in the link, click download, I usually send it to desktop. Save it as 'sg-contour-fill.scm" PASTE this script into your users folder. I use Fedora so mine would be in .gimp-2.6/scripts

OOOps, sorry O, we posted at the same time. :ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

If you ever need to do this for a HTML page that has NO direct download link, go to your browser menu File>Save Page As
This will pop up

If you use double quotation marks on each side of the file name and extension it will save as THAT extension not HTML. :)

You can do this with any file type.

By the way no cats were harmed during this presentation. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:32 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

Well thank you very much! Like I said I'm basically a graphic designer and don't know a lot about scripts and files and language ect. I read some stuff on here and I haven't a clue what its about. But I love this forum and will try to do what I can.

You just don't know how much I like the Selection Blend script from RobA. I will show you all what I can do with it next week (very busy for now).

And that other one called Contour Fill Selection by Saulgoode. I have always wanted that for as long as I can remember. I was able to do that in an old electronic arts design program that I used to use about 20 years ago.

Thank you all, Alan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:32 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

I make 3D height map patterns using GIMP 2.6 and the [Selection Blend] and [Mirror] scripts.

Basically I add a rounded selection blended object (lower layer) with a profiled blended object

over it (upper layer) set to screen, to create a height map. The process is somewhat involved but

here it is:

First on a new layer I draw half of a sylindrical shape using the Free Selection tool set to no

antialliasing (Can't have feathered edges on the alpha for this procedure to work properly).

Then I paste in black and set up the layer by clicking [Layer] [Autocrop Layer] to prepair for the

mirror script. The Mirrow script helps to create an exact cylinder shape on both sides.

The Mirror script doesn't work on an autocroped layer without first hiding the background layer. I

use the Mirror Script horizontally and I uncheck work on copy which stops it from popping up a new

canvas window.

After creating a double sided cylidrical object I then have to perform a [Layer to Image Size] on

the layer so that the [Selection Blend] script works. Then select whats on the layer by choosing

the [Alpha to Selection] function.

I have made a custom gradient that is set up to use foreground and background colors. And it is

set for Spherical Increase and Decrease to make it round. I have saved it as RoundGradient.

Then with the gradient selected, dithering unchecked, and the foreground and backround set to

default black and white, I then use the [Selection Blend] script on it which gives me this result:

Now the shape has roundness but no contour. Thus I must create a contour layer above it before

setting it to Screen layer Mode.

Next I Duplicate the layer, and within the selection I draw a regular Linear Foreground to

blackground Gradient, from black on the left edge of the selection, to white in the middle.

Then I copy this selection to the clipboard so that I can use it as a brush to smear the profile

gradient all the way accross the selection. But beforehand it is also necessary to set the

[Spacing] in the [Brush Selection] dialog box to 1 so that it will draw a smooth contour gradient.

(I wish there was a script to smear a profile gradient inside of a selection).

Note: This smear will only work out right if I have created it inside of a flat selection that has

no antialiasing or feathering. Otherwise I would be smearing an antialiased edge which would not

work good.

Now all I have to do is set this smear layer to [Screen] and it will create a rounded bump map

type of object when combined with the Selection Blend layer below it. Notice that this image below

has roundness and contour.

And this image gives me a very nice rounded cylinder when used as a height map pattern in the 3D
preview software that accompanies my 3D carving machine.

I can actually do this function pretty quickly, and the results come out remarkably well. If I

were to try and make a cylidrical object like this using 3D software not only would it be much

harder but would also take up a great deal of time.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:25 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

I missed this thread since I crashed for more then a few days after a long contract job at that time. Fastastic stuff RobA and Saul. Only played a little with it a few minuts ago. Took one Silvertayl's Siamese Fighting Fish Brushes as hard selection and ran RobA's Script-fu in the Horizontal and Vertical (vertical much slower then horizontal) and set the top layer to difference. The block areas are weird though and am not sure what causes this effect (see something similar with Saul's Script-fu after I drank a 16oz diet-coke (slow but worth the wait)) so I guess the selections need to be a smooth curve or else. I see fantastic potential for both so happy I am and thanks again to both of you gurus. :)

Attachments:
SF01.png
SF01.png [ 316.04 KiB | Viewed 1512 times ]

Psalm 109:8