It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp Scripts .com
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:04 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Tux i was wondering if it is possible to, or if you already have a download package
for all the scripts and plugins that are available on Gimp Scripts.com so you can get them all at once?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp Scripts .com
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:02 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

That would assume some additional work to make sure they are up-to-date?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:55 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

Well, the scripts posted here tend to get scattered around the various forums and become impossible to find so when I see a script posted, I place it on gimpscripts.com. This allows some of the most popular scripts to be easily located, which was the purpose for putting up the site.

On a side note, I'd appreciate a PM pointing out scripts that are posted here so I can mirror them over to gimpscripts.com. Sometimes, I miss good scripts that are posted here (or linked to from here). There's a upload screen that allows scripts to be uploaded by anyone that's already in place, for those who want to help me out in this endeavor.

I'll be passing out some user ID's for gimpscripts.com soon for those who would like to help. Also for those who would like to post/maintain their own scripts or post script related articles.

I'm not too keen on bundling a bunch of scripts together in one file. We saw what can happen when fx-foundry tried that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:59 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Okay i understand the decision not to bundle scripts.
If i do see a script lying about i will PM you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:24 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks, Rod!! They are easy to miss sometimes...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:02 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

sooooo, I was looking at gimpscripts and didn't see any reference to operating systems. Could this be done with tags or icons or ? Or if most will work on all systems then perhaps a notation about if the script or plug-in doesn't work on a certain OS? I have quite a few plug-ins that are in the plug-in folder but are not accessible to my gimp.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:15 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

2-ton wrote:
sooooo, I was looking at gimpscripts and didn't see any reference to operating systems. Could this be done with tags or icons or ? Or if most will work on all systems then perhaps a notation about if the script or plug-in doesn't work on a certain OS? I have quite a few plug-ins that are in the plug-in folder but are not accessible to my gimp.

You have to click on the Details to see the supported platforms:

HOWEVER This information is NOT reliable due to: A. The information not being supplied when the script is uploaded and B. Even if the information is supplied, the admins don't take any notice and apply a blanket all platforms default. (At least that was the case with the script I uploaded)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:29 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

2-ton wrote:

Yes, as paynek pointed out, click details for all the specifics associated with the script/plug-in. If the scripts are OS specific, I'll tag that but afaik, there are no scripts on there that can't be ran in the operating systems listed for that script. The script-fu scripts should run across Windows/Linux/MAC, and as long as you have Python installed properly, python scripts should work across platforms, as well. There are currently no binary plug-ins on Gimp Scripts that are OS specific. I might consider hosting some of those and if I do, I will clearly tag the post/file as being OS specific.

paynekj wrote:
HOWEVER This information is NOT reliable due to: A. The information not being supplied when the script is uploaded and B. Even if the information is supplied, the admins don't take any notice and apply a blanket all platforms default. (At least that was the case with the script I uploaded).

Was that the "Test For Duplicates" script, paynek? I certainly try to reflect the information provided by the uploader but there could have been an error made. Your script, being a .scm, wouldn't it run across all platforms? You can also leave a comment on that script's page (or send me a PM) and let me know if I don't a have the info correct.

I need to start passing out passwords to the script writers so that can edit the information add scripts/posts themselves, if they want. I'm gonna do that soon. The filebase module, where scripts are stored, has been under rapid development and I've been waiting for the developer to get out a few more stable releases before doing that.

If the person uploading the file uses the defaults or doesn't specify, I will attempt to determine that info before posting live.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:22 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks!!!! It was right there under my nose all the time, lol. And I do have python, yet many of my plug-ins are not showing up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:19 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Founder

I'm not a python "sCRipTor" but one would hope the tweaks needed to run interpreted .py scripts could be done on the OS side. In leu of that, the coder should include the details of the release in the header of their script or in a readme document, letting the user know if the script is OS specific, and/or give alternate instructions or tips on how to make it run on a given OS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:14 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

GnuTux wrote:
Was that the "Test For Duplicates" script, paynek? I certainly try to reflect the information provided by the uploader but there could have been an error made. Your script, being a .scm, wouldn't it run across all platforms?

Yes that was the "Test For Duplicates" script, and no, it initially didn't work on Linux/MAC. Any script that accesses the file system has the potential to be written to be not cross-platform thanks to the directory-separator differences ( "/" vs. "\" ). Obviously this can be fixed by use of the DIR-SEPARATOR constant. My problem was with the searchpath separator differences (";" vs. ":") for which the equivalent fix:- SEACRCHPATH-SEPARATOR, only exists 2.7.4 onwards.

The thing that's going to become important soon(ish) is the GIMP version.

Kevin

P.S. Being able to update the details on my script would be useful as the built-in fix for SEARCHPATH-SEPARATOR breaks my script so it can't claim to work on 2.7.x any more, and I don't think I'd want to claim compatibility with an ill-defined moving target anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

paynekj wrote:
Yes that was the "Test For Duplicates" script, and no, it initially didn't work on Linux/MAC. Any script that accesses the file system has the potential to be written to be not cross-platform thanks to the directory-separator differences ( "/" vs. "\" ). Obviously this can be fixed by use of the DIR-SEPARATOR constant. My problem was with the searchpath separator differences (";" vs. ":") for which the equivalent fix:- SEACRCHPATH-SEPARATOR, only exists 2.7.4 onwards..

Ah, I should have considered that your script manipulates the folder index of the file system, duh!

Is there no reliable way to detect OS in PyGimp, so you could make the "separator" type a variable, or are you just stuck with limited internal procedures to manipulate the file system?