It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 am

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tutorial Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

We'll it's been quite awhile sense I've done any Gimp tutorials on YouTube, and all my gimp tutorials now are going to be advanced tutorials for GimpPimp. However for once I'm blank on what to do for a tutorial, and it sucks.

So could you guys give me some ideas for my first tutorial for GimpPimp???

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati

Post subject: Re: Tutorial Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

I think explaining/demonstrating smudging, cloning, clipping masks would be a good start. They seem to be troublesome for a lot of people.

Links to your tutorials posted in here would be most welcome. :hehe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:05 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Clipping masks would be an excellent start.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:25 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Well that's more for the basics of Gimp, and it's pretty simple. GimpPimp is for advanced gimp tutorials.

I know I wanna make a bunch of web layout tutorials for Gimp, cause there's only 11 Web Layout Tutorials for Gimp on the web at this point, and lets face it, most of them are pretty simple, and/or ugly, while some look good, or decent. Additionally I wanna get some photo manipulation tutorials done, but I wanna get the web layout tutorials done beforehand. I'm just suffering from a little writers block sort to speak (in this case will call it designers block)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:30 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Some things people have asked me:
Make a lake look like it's frozen over.
Make a jpg that has been saved with low quality setting look sharp.
Make a photo taken at night, without proper lighting and with the camera being moved while taking the photo, look sharp again.
Make a twitter background.
Make a 2D mask look like it's painted on a face.
How make real transparency without that damn (excuse my French) chequerboard shining through. (You might think it's beginner stuff but it proved impossible to explained through a few messages. :lol and a bit :( for the person asking.)

I haven't use the new twitter layout yet so not sure if a tutorial about the background is do-able. But maybe that one is an idea? What dimensions to use for which screen size etc?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:28 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Jolie wrote:
Some things people have asked me:
Make a lake look like it's frozen over.
Make a jpg that has been saved with low quality setting look sharp.
Make a photo taken at night, without proper lighting and with the camera being moved while taking the photo, look sharp again.
Make a twitter background.
Make a 2D mask look like it's painted on a face.
How make real transparency without that damn (excuse my French) chequerboard shining through. (You might think it's beginner stuff but it proved impossible to explained through a few messages. :lol and a bit :( for the person asking.)

I haven't use the new twitter layout yet so not sure if a tutorial about the background is do-able. But maybe that one is an idea? What dimensions to use for which screen size etc?

The "Make a lake look like it's frozen over" sounds like an interesting effect to make, I'll give it a try, and see how the results come out, and if it looks promising I'll do a tut on it, but if it looks like crap, I'm not gonna bother lol

I'm not on Twitter, I've thought about it, but still not to sure if I wanna go on that site. (I don't even know anyone that has a Twitter as far as I'm aware of)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:54 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I am with Mahvin, I still do not know what a clipping mask is in Gimp. I know what a layer mask is. To the best of my knowledge there are no tutorials on clipping masks in Gimp.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I also don't know what a clipping mask is. Or what it's for.
Is it something to do with making sigs? I still can't make sigs. :oops:

Oh and you know me, and O, and gimpchat on twitter. So that's 3 to follow already. :bigthup Although I don't tweet that much myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:45 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

so how about some tuts on how to do the web layouts...break it down so there is a separate tut on each facet of web design? You can use some basic layouts to start with, so you don't really need to come up with any fancy designs at first.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:10 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
so how about some tuts on how to do the web layouts...break it down so there is a separate tut on each facet of web design? You can use some basic layouts to start with, so you don't really need to come up with any fancy designs at first.

My main plan is to do more web layout tutorials, however they'll usually be long. So I may have a text tutorial below it too, just not to sure if I'm gonna do it or not.

I actually just made this web layout for everyone to use for free, and I'm gonna make a tutorial on how to make that web layout. (It won't look exactly the same, but close.)