It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to install photivo as GIMP plugin in windows 7 ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
photivo

I just found out about this program and I understand it works as a plugin in GIMP. I have GIMP 2.8.4 64 bits on Windows 7
I found the plugin installer but not for windows 7 and not for this version of GIMP. Can it be installed with my versions ? Where can I get it from ?

I installed it as an independent program but since I use GIMP for most of my pictures I would like to have it as plugin.

(and if you can point me to tutorials .. That would give me a good start)

Thanks in advance!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How to install photivo as GIMP plugin in windows 7 ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:36 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

If your looking for RAW support in Gimp I would start with installing, UFRaw. It's a bit tricky to install but you will be able to open RAW files with the Gimp UFRaw plugin. If you need help installing UFRaw plugin for Gimp 2.8, re-post. For another stand alone RAW program have a look at RawTherapee it works with JPG, TIF, and PNG file formats as well.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

fagopher
I had photivo working in older version of gimp, but dose not seem to show up in the newer
versions. The plugin python file was not designed very well, as when they named the file
they put blank spaces in file name making it not very friend to python requiring "%20" to
be added to the file name two places. Plugin file name "mm%20extern%20photivo.py"
need to add photivo-path to gimp user personal gimprc and possibly to gimp.ini file.
Then if you want to make it portable you have to add a text file to photivo blank text file
with the file name of "use-portable-profile"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:15 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

my answer is not very positive, maybe someone else will have a better one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:19 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

You'll probably find answers to your questions in the official support group for Photivo on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/photivo/ (which I'm guessing you found: http://www.flickr.com/groups/photivo/di ... 235728659/ )

Although I use Photivo, I don't use it as a plug-in. I prefer to do all the RAW conversion and adjustments in Photivo, then save the result and open that in GIMP for whatever minor tweaks are required. As I like to keep the Photivo output file, I don't use the automatic transfer method and it's temporary file.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

fagopher wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
photivo

I just found out about this program and I understand it works as a plugin in GIMP. I have GIMP 2.8.4 64 bits on Windows 7
I found the plugin installer but not for windows 7 and not for this version of GIMP. Can it be installed with my versions ? Where can I get it from ?

I installed it as an independent program but since I use GIMP for most of my pictures I would like to have it as plugin.

(and if you can point me to tutorials .. That would give me a good start)

Thanks in advance!

I am a fan of Photivo, unfortunately the developers always seem to be a dependency version ahead of my regular PClinuxOS installation which foils my compiling ability.
Is it just for RAW image processing? No, you can use any image from Gimp and tweak it in Photivo.

Back to Win7 64 bit. Bound to be other ways but this works here in a Win 7 64 bit Virtual Box.

First thing. Since the Photivo plugins are 32 bit, install the 32 bit version of Photivo.

Gimp plugins.
I made a dedicated folder under Program Files (X86) just for the 3 Photivo files. You need to add this to the plug-in folders in Gimp preferences

The plugins are: ptGimp QtCore4.dll and the python plugin mm_extern_photivo.py (note I have replaced spaces with underscores - spaces in file names, windoze - bad practice)

This version of the python plugin is an older version where you have to edit the script to set up the path to Photivo (line 54) and sometime the Photivo syntax changed so the -g switch is replaced by -i (line 81)

The edited script is attached - do not forget to unzip it.

Some screenshots of this bit - not in line - save bandwidth - help prevent internet constipation.
http://i.imgur.com/apVnuWA.jpg

All being well there should be an entry in the filters menu for sending the open image to Photivo
http://i.imgur.com/CEWg7bg.jpg

Into Photivo:
The location of Gimp has to be set up manually. Bottom of the Photivo window, next to the RGB box is the settings icon.
This brings up a list of headings, go to the export command, enable use gimp plugin. Now click on the little camera icon, this brings up a seach dialog, find the Gimp executable, normally some ridiculous place, C:\Program Files\Gimp 2\bin\.. and ok (open).

Sending back to Gimp, little icon right down at the bottom, just above the settings icon.
screenshots: http://i.imgur.com/JVgKNG8.jpg

It should go back to Gimp as a new image, Photivo for speed normally displays at 1:4 image size so do not forget to change to 1:1 before sending back to gimp.
http://i.imgur.com/Yajn9wR.jpg
I got a bit out of step with the screenshots so there is a reminder here for the gimp folders, lol.

best of luck

Attachments:
mm_extern_photivo.py.zip [1.79 KiB]
Downloaded 241 times