It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clone tool with different angles. Is that possible?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Kubuntu
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi all.
I'm trying to change the angle of cloning but by changing the property "angle" has no effect. This is what I try to do:
I think if would be possible to choose different angles for the Clone tool and Perspective Clone Tool, it might be useful for reflections or mirror images. For examples, the mirror of an object over a surface (or the reflection of the surface on the object)
Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Clone tool with different angles. Is that possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

YAFU wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Kubuntu
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hi all.
I'm trying to change the angle of cloning but by changing the property "angle" has no effect. This is what I try to do:
I think if would be possible to choose different angles for the Clone tool and Perspective Clone Tool, it might be useful for reflections or mirror images. For examples, the mirror of an object over a surface (or the reflection of the surface on the object)
Thanks.

What don't you duplicate the image/layer, rotate it, and then use that as a clone (or heal) source? Cloning can be done from any layer (or even from another image...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I used to have Picture Publisher 8 and I seem to remember it having mirrored cloning. Gimp is far superior so it's a wonder it hasn't been included.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:41 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

@Erisian, It would be nice to include that feature in GIMP. I suppose if all the brushes support setting different angles would not be difficult to apply in the Clone tool.
@ofnuts, In this picture I show and assuming that the gray area may reflect images like a mirror:
Download Reflection.xcf
how do you emulate the reflection from the surface over the object?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

You many find that very difficult. It has been tried before a while back to reflect the under side of a car and it wasn't very profitable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:07 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hello molly.
The case of the car reflection is different. There you are missing data. For example you do not know how the bottom surface of the car is.
In the example I show all the necessary data are available. Just have to find a technique to make the emulation of reflection easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:05 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

YAFU wrote:
@ofnuts, In this picture I show and assuming that the gray area may reflect images like a mirror:
how do you emulate the reflection from the surface over the object?

For a complex surface like this, I don't think there is a simple process with Gimp that gives a correct result (the two triangles at the bottom center have three reflections), and I don't see how rotating brushes would help with that. 3D rendering software would do it...

Attachment:
Reflections.png
Reflections.png [ 75.17 KiB | Viewed 8172 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I think being able to choose the angle of the Clone tool, you could quickly get something like this picture (I did it manually):

And then work from that image to achieve the "fake reflection":

Ok, I know the result was not very good and it would lack some reflections caused by the curvatures, but hopefully I can illustrate what I pretend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

actually that is really good, and a top highlight/shadow layer would make it look almost perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting.
You could start with 3 layers
1) the top surface layer (no script activity)
2) the reflected layer (shapes layer)
3) the reflection surface layer (3-D effect layer) with gradient already added.
So all you would really need is a script that would flip the reflected layer vertical, or horizontal.
Move it to the top of the 3-D layer and clip it to the 3-D layer, and then blurred, and opacity set, or mode set.
Then the top surface layer would be placed on top.
That would pretty much give you your effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

YAFU wrote:
I think being able to choose the angle of the Clone tool, you could quickly get something like this picture (I did it manually):

And then work from that image to achieve the "fake reflection":

Ok, I know the result was not very good and it would lack some reflections caused by the curvatures, but hopefully I can illustrate what I pretend.
In this example the angle of the clone tool would change continuously to follow the border... (and yes there are 4 places when the reflections are wrong/missing). For some of the reflections needed here the cage tool would be a lot better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

@ Rod, Do you think this method could be used with complex surfaces?
@ ofnuts, I understand. 3D program is the best option to achieve more accurate reflections. But I hardly use 2d programs, and not doing very well. The idea was to get some "fake" reflections as a quick solution. I really like to try the Clone Tool and Perspective Clone Tool with arbitrary angles. I have already mentioned in the IRC channel.
I tried using the Cage Tool before for other things and I feel that something is wrong with it. I'm not comfortable using it. I think other programs have something more useful (I think), where nodes are created automatically from the edges of a selection, then you can change the shape of the object.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

YAFU wrote:
@ Rod, Do you think this method could be used with complex surfaces?
@ ofnuts, I understand. 3D program is the best option to achieve more accurate reflections. But I hardly use 2d programs, and not doing very well. The idea was to get some "fake" reflections as a quick solution. I really like to try the Clone Tool and Perspective Clone Tool with arbitrary angles. I have already mentioned in the IRC channel.
I tried using the Cage Tool before for other things and I feel that something is wrong with it. I'm not comfortable using it. I think other programs have something more useful (I think), where nodes are created automatically from the edges of a selection, then you can change the shape of the object.

Probably not feasible with complex surfaces. Too many lighting variances and reflections of reflections. :)
Straight edged shapes would work well though.As their is one reflection from the surface to the parallel sides.