It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 2.8 and UFRAW
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
UFRAW

List any ERROR messages you received:
0000007b one

I'm hoping this is just a quick answer....I have looked at the relevant threads on flickr etc and am just a little confused as to how to fix this. I had gotten a new camera Rebel EOS T3 and so I now wish to save in jpeg and RAW. I dl'd the UFraw and installed and that is how I found out to make sure and change the path to have it install into the gimp2.8 folder, backing /Ufraw out of the path line so the files go into the /bin folder of Gimp itself.

So it's now there, but I'm getting the .dll error 000007b and so can someone help me clearly understand which .dll's it is and what I need to replace or delete and how to get them?

I don't want to screw anything up.

Screenshots included in hopes it helps including the error messages I got within gimp

ImageImageImage

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.8 and UFRAW
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:20 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

If I try to open it without Ufraw...I get the following screen, but I can only open 1 layer...if I try to open all 4, nothing happens but more errors......Image

from the log file

TIFF image plug-In could not open image

TIFF image Warning
incorrect count for field "BitsPerSample" (3, expecting 1); tag trimmed

TIFF image Warning
Photometric tag is missing, assuming data is YCbCr

TIFF image Warning
SamplesPerPixel tag is missing, assuming correct SamplesPerPixel value is 3

TIFF image Warning
Subsampling tag is not set, yet subsampling inside JPEG data [2,1] does not match default values [2,2]; assuming subsampling inside JPEG data is correct

TIFF image Warning
C:\Users\Sennaria\Desktop\Photography\camera\T3\IMG_0032.CR2: invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order

TIFF image Warning
C:\Users\Sennaria\Desktop\Photography\camera\T3\IMG_0032.CR2: TIFF directory is missing required "ImageLength" field

TIFF image Warning
C:\Users\Sennaria\Desktop\Photography\camera\T3\IMG_0032.CR2: invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order

TIFF image Warning
C:\Users\Sennaria\Desktop\Photography\camera\T3\IMG_0032.CR2: TIFF directory is missing required "ImageLength" field

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning
Subsampling tag is not set, yet subsampling inside JPEG data [2,1] does not match default values [2,2]; assuming subsampling inside JPEG data is correct

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning
Depreciated and troublesome old-style JPEG compression mode, please convert to new-style JPEG compression and notify vendor of writing software

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning

TIFF image Warning
Could not get image width from 'C:\Users\Sennaria\Desktop\Photography\camera\T3\IMG_0032.CR2'

GIMP Error
Opening 'C:\Users\Sennaria\Desktop\Photography\camera\T3\IMG_0032.CR2' failed:

TIFF image plug-In could not open image

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:00 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I know little about Windows.
But when you install ufraw in Linux you end up with TWO binaries.
One is named ufraw and resides in the /usr/bin folder and is intended for stand alone use.
The other one is installed as ufraw-gimp in /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plugins/ufraw-gimp.
How the Windows installer acts I have no idea.
Hope this info is useful.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:31 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Jorden,

UFRAW is a 32-bit application. It won't work with a pure 64-bit application. Sorry.

On Windows, I find it unnecessary to have a RAW convertor since the one supplied by your camera manufacturer will do a bang-up job. So, suggest you use your the one provided by Canon which should do a great job on RAW files from Canon cameras. I know the Nikon software (ViewNX freeware or Capture NX2 paid) certainly do. After you make all the adjustments in Canon RAW, export it as JPG to do any pixel level editing in Gimp.

Hope this helps.
Partha

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:44 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You know..I had a feeling that's what this was....ok..thanks ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:31 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

@partha,
How come ufraw for Windows is 32 bit only?
In my Linux it's available in both 32 and 64 bit depending on the architecture.
Gerard.

I use Linux only.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:51 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

gerard82 wrote:
@partha,
How come ufraw for Windows is 32 bit only?
In my Linux it's available in both 32 and 64 bit depending on the architecture.
Gerard.

You can read all about the author's disdain for the Window's operating system on their website.

Since I don't need a RAW editor, I didn't bother to update ufraw for 64-bit myself. Others are welcome to contribute.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:08 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

partha wrote:
You can read all about the author's disdain for the Window's operating system on their website.

Since I don't need a RAW editor, I didn't bother to update ufraw for 64-bit myself. Others are welcome to contribute.

Given that point of view, I'm pleased that I use Photivo for RAW processing :)

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks partha.
Another raw program is Rawtherapee.
It used to be closed source and Windows only.
It's open source now and available in 32 or 64 bit.
http://rawtherapee.com/downloads
Gerard.

I use Linux only.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 pm  (#10) 

With Windows, once you have successfully installed UFRAW in the GIMP 2.8 program folder in the bin subfolder, you can use the UFRAW plugin for GIMP with no problem. To take it the next step and be able to start UFRAW from the desktop icon or START/PROGRAM menu, edit your path variable to include the bin folder. To do this go to the start menu and select "Computer" from the right hand options. When that opens select "System Properties" from the menu items, then from the left hand side of that window select "Advanced system settings". At the bottom of that dialogue window is a button "Environment Variables.." After clicking on that, under System Variables scroll down to "Path", select it and select "Edit". Go to the end of all the variables shown in Variable value and add ";C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin" "OK" back out of all that (3 times I think) and when you double click on your desktop icon UFRAW should start right up.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:38 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Go to the end of all the variables shown in Variable value and add ";C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin"

Although this is the default install location for the official Gimp-2.8,
be sure that it is YOUR path.
For instance mine is C:\Program Files\gimp-2.8\bin (Parthas install)
Which will make a HUGE difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:15 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Bonjour,

With the portable versions, the plugin UFRaw works. Simply drag the images in Gimp. Do not use UFRaw in independent program but only as a Gimp plugin.
The formats used for testing are:
- CR2
- CRW
- ORF
- NEF
- MRW

Portable versions :
http://samjcreations.blogspot.ca/search ... 0de%20Gimp

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:51 pm  (#13) 

I've tried every one of these solutions...with the exception of running UFRaw in portable mode...and none of them work.

To add insult to injury, I installed RawTherapee as a workaround, and I cannot get it to work as well.

For UFRaw, I'm still getting the following error:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

If anyone has solved this, please, please post here.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:20 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Bonjour,

@MLO

You try to use UFRaw 32-bit with 64-bit DLL. This will not work.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:32 pm  (#15) 

samj wrote:
Bonjour,

@MLO

You try to use UFRaw 32-bit with 64-bit DLL. This will not work.

:gaah

Is there a 32-bit installer for GIMP 2.8 available for download?
If not, is there an alternative to UFRaw for GIMP 2.8 64-bit?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4266&start=10#p53917

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:18 am  (#17) 

Found a solution for UFRAW to work on gimp 2.8 (in windows) from the following link
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1000&message=41550319&changemode=1

Just religiously follow the following.

Gimp 2.8. Install Gimp as normal. It will install in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2. Then install UFraw, but specify install folder also as C:\Program Files\GIMP 2. It will add \UFraw. Delete that part of the path. (I missed this part first)
You should be able to open RAW files in Gimp and have UFraw come up. (Restart gimp-the thread didn't say that).
It was a great relief as I work a lot on raw files

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:14 am  (#18) 

menon wrote:
Found a solution for UFRAW to work on gimp 2.8 (in windows) from the following link
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1000&message=41550319&changemode=1

Gimp 2.8. Install Gimp as normal. It will install in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2. Then install UFraw, but specify install folder also as C:\Program Files\GIMP 2. It will add \UFraw. Delete that part of the path. (I missed this part first)
You should be able to open RAW files in Gimp and have UFraw come up. (Restart gimp-the thread didn't say that).

I don't know how to thank you. I really really am so happy that someone put up an answer that works, I tried all kinds but yours worked! Thank you so very much! I spent days googling and posting on other forums - no one helped and I found you deep in the google! Now to learn something! Where are your pics/ art? I want to learn how to make Christmas cards and great photography. Community college training, very on the surface- time to dive deep while the energy is there- thanks again your so good for putting that up, life altering for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:56 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Quote:
For UFRaw, I'm still getting the following error:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

MLO,
That's an "STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT" message. If your having problems with RawTherapee as well, are you sure the image is a valid RAW file?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:12 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

menon wrote:

Do you know if I still follow the above directions if I have BOTH Gimp 2.6 and 2.8? My path is C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8, thanks. Also, I just re-read several posts up and noticed UFraw will not work with 64bit Gimp. Does anyone know if UFraw has been modified to work with Partha's 64bit version of Gimp 2.8?