It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:42 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I think I should elaborate on what this portable does. But really, check out the video mentioned on my website, or here is the link (I am not sure I am supposed to embed videos here):
http://www.youtube.com/user/rggjan#p/u/7/kkQ1r5g49d4

But if you want to give it a whirl with the author do the following:

Go to File -> Open location:
http://coolclip.ru/albums/Wallpapers/Wa ... 24_066.jpg
(Pasted the above URL to get the butterfly-nymph image).

Then selected the Foreground Select tool.
Roughly outlined the image using a large (or small) brush. Pick the size using the slider.
Then painted the foreground with black - again roughly. When you stop painting look see what it picked up.
It accurately picked up her hair. Notice the start percentage (it says 70% - you can change to a
lower if you like - but use default for now).
When you are satisfied, I hit the enter key (Don't forget this part - Hit the Enter Key).
This created a selection on top of the image.
Now if you click on the eye in the layer window, you see that it did a pretty good job.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Partha

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The RGGJAN Portable
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:00 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

AWESOME! thanks Partha. :)
You didn't tell me it contained the new foreground select tool.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:11 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
AWESOME! thanks Partha. :)
You didn't tell me it contained the new foreground select tool.

It's not. Sorry. It's a separate fork.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:37 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hrmmm .. .i click on the about and it says 2.7.3 is that supposed to be gimp-2.7.3?
The new tool doesn't seem to work for me.

I opened that same image - selected the foreground select tool - i got a laso tool first.
selected around the face and hair and got the same as the old foreground select tool. :)

Oh and when i was done painting and hit enter i got an empty top layer and no selection.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:51 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
Hrmmm .. .i click on the about and it says 2.7.3 is that supposed to be gimp-2.7.3?
The new tool doesn't seem to work for me.

Yes, it's a fork from June 2011. Hence I didn't mention it as part of 2.7.4 :)
Quote:
I opened that same image - selected the foreground select tool - i got a laso tool first.
selected around the face and hair and got the same as the old foreground select tool. :)

Did you see the percentage selection as part of the tool? You can change that or take the default for now.
If you follow the video or my write up then it should work.
When you select with the lasso (roughly), the selected part will turn blue (or the color you selected). Now paint with black over the blue part, just like you do for foreground selection. Take care not to have any "holes" in your painting. When you have finished painting over the blue part and stop, the selection tool will start working and the selection will now contract to the parts you want. If you satisfied, then hit enter. Your selection will become a new layer on top of the image.
Quote:
Oh and when i was done painting and hit enter i got an empty top layer and no selection.

See above.

Send me an email if that does not work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:06 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

This is what i get after my default lasso selection and then my paint the foreground selection.

Then if i hit enter i get this - an empty top layer and the original bg layer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
This is what i get after my default lasso selection and then my paint the foreground selection.

Rod, here you have red on red, nothing to select? Use the foreground and background colors (black and white) Tell me what happens then?
Quote:
Then if i hit enter i get this - an empty top layer and the original bg layer.

Yes, this happens because nothing was selected. I bet it selected almost without any processing right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

is this for portable only, not working on 2.7.4 install..or maybe it's just me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:41 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

alc59 wrote:
is this for portable only, not working on 2.7.4 install..or maybe it's just me

Yes, only portable to be installed on a portable drive so you can play with it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:24 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Partha these are the steps i am using

1) open image
2) select foreground select tool
3) select roughly around the image
4) then i paint the foreground area
Now i let go of the mouse button...everything turns the same color.No new selection.
I click on enter no new layer (obviously because there is no selection to create a new layer with).

I guess i am doing something wrong but i am following the tutorial step by step.
Here is a video of my steps.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

You notice after i release the mouse it turns all the same color.And there is no selection at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:55 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Rod,

From the video I noticed that the foreground extraction tool never activates. This is a memory issue since it is quite memory intensive. My guess is that you do not have enough memory on your computer.

Thanks,
Partha

PS: I just ran on an XP with 1.25Gig RAM and I got the same result as you, so definitely a memory problem. With 4Gig of RAM, it works fine. Sorry Rod.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:57 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

almost exactly what i get..except i don't get a new layer, when i hit enter i get selection around my first outline
really no differnt then when i try it in the install version..got to be something i'm doing wrong

couple of errors when starting portable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Yes that is exactly what it is Partha.Not enough memory...darn. :\

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:24 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

alc59 wrote:
almost exactly what i get..except i don't get a new layer, when i hit enter i get selection around my first outline
really no differnt then when i try it in the install version..got to be something i'm doing wrong

couple of errors when starting portable

alc59,

The RGGJAN portable seems to be temperamental and giving you an error as well. Did you run it on a Windows 7 machine with enough RAM (4 or more)?

Thanks for the feedback on the crash. The texturetiler plugin seems to be the problem for you. Sharpfeather is part of that plugin. I will look into why you are getting this error. In the meantime, I am afraid you will have to delete them both from the plug-ins directory. The script patchsynth.scm will not work either.

Are you having any other problems using the portable version? Which Windows are you running and is it 32 or 64-bit please?

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

win 7 64 bit 4 gig ram

haven't played with the portable much yet
i don't think mines activating either. it doesn't open a new layer and only selects my first trace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:53 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Yes i will be upgrading to 4 or more gigs i think. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:59 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Should i have downloaded the 64 bit portable or shouldn't that matter. my other gimps are 32

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:05 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

It is probable that the RGGJAN tweak is in a very experimenthal stage:
For gimp there was a very similar SOC project , that from the video seems ready, and for sure was more know and more tested
Still the gimp staff will wait gimp-2.10 to add to gimp not only to have time to test it better but also to be sure that it will not break something else

Now ,even if sometimes they may seems overcautious gimp developers usually knows what they do ,...a experimenthal fork that had apparently nobody working on it from long adapted to a experimental build may well have bugs and even cause apparently unrelated bugs...

Even more considering not only the iteration with a beta version of gimp , but including also the iterations with several gimp extra plugins ,in this case resurrected from the times of gimp -1.2 ( i still think that resurretion a good idea, and i haven't problem with them

I mean combining 3 factors or risk may be a exponential grow of the chances of something going wrong

BTW..quoting myself
"including also the iterations with several gimp extra plugins ,in this case resurrected from the times of gimp -1.2"
( i still think that resurretion a good idea, and i had not problem with them
...but here we are talking about use them from a experimenthal gimp fork, ported to a beta version of gimp...i believe too much risky factors togheter

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

@ Alc59

it depend from your Ram, if less then 3GB make no difference... if more is better use the 64 bit version
i will suggest the 64 bit portable of THIS viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2606

i mean gimp-2.7.4 is a beta and so could be unstable and a bit buggy, ... but then this RGGJAN fork may be a pre-alpha

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:26 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

just restarted the laptop and tried to run portable and wouldn't start..i did remove the two plugins that were giving me errors the first time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next