It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIMP feature wishlist
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:05 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

- I want the pen-tool to work with gradients like it did in 2.6, I know it works with gradients but NOT like it was in 2.6 the way it is now I HATE IT. T.T

- A feature that allows the specs of the pen/eraser took to stay when I'm switching back and forth. (If I have the pen 5px and the eraser 10px they both are separate so I don't have to keep fixing the pen tool's size - or eraser).

- When the pen tool is bigger it stays smooth without the bumps of the brush being a circle...Other things I can't remember atm but I'll know when I come across them. :rofl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 am  (#22) 
Script Coder

The eraser tool should work on layer groups. It should simply remove the same pixels from all the layers in the group.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

I have a request for the plug-ins parser, which - I suppose - is a GIMP system function.
It is very frustrating as it is now that - when a plug-in cannot be loaded for some error - it simply doesn't exist; I'd like to find inside the pluginrc file the detailed reason why the plug-in could not be loaded, sometimes it is a real puzzle to understand it by trials (just to make a recent example, I still don't know why the MrQ brush manager is loaded while the other MrQ managers I tried -applying exactly the same modifications as in the brush manager- do not..)
IMHO especially for gimpers not guru it is a strong need. Hoping...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:09 am  (#24) 
Script Coder

Mokonafan wrote:
- A feature that allows the specs of the pen/eraser took to stay when I'm switching back and forth. (If I have the pen 5px and the eraser 10px they both are separate so I don't have to keep fixing the pen tool's size - or eraser).

Edit/Preferences/Tool options -> Paint options shared between tools -> Brush

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 am  (#25) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
I have a request for the plug-ins parser, which - I suppose - is a GIMP system function.
It is very frustrating as it is now that - when a plug-in cannot be loaded for some error - it simply doesn't exist; I'd like to find inside the pluginrc file the detailed reason why the plug-in could not be loaded, sometimes it is a real puzzle to understand it by trials (just to make a recent example, I still don't know why the MrQ brush manager is loaded while the other MrQ managers I tried -applying exactly the same modifications as in the brush manager- do not..)
IMHO especially for gimpers not guru it is a strong need. Hoping...

There is no reason why a plugin that you install unmodified should fail due to a parsing error.

Otherwise, if you modify the code, you should be able to debug it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

I believe one of the MQ Managers (SCRIPTS), will not load unless your SCM files are all zipped.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:48 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

@ofnuts
1-there are plug-ins that MUST BE MODIFIED (as in the example i did, MrQ managers)
2-I did submit all MrQ modified plug-ins to a python checker: no indication about errors
3-it is IN ANY CASE REASONABLE TO ASK FOR A REASON when something is not accepted by the parser, IMHO

@rod
I do not intend to use MrQ managers for scripts, I just tried only with gradients and patterns

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:20 pm  (#28) 
Script Coder

1) No... if they have to be modified they aren't properly designed. Python plugins can read files, and act upon that data. You can even write your plugin to read a side file where you keep, for instance, the menus under which you want the plugin to appear. And the ACTIVE_DIR in the MrQ manager plugin can be computed in 99.99% of the installed Gimps...

2) GIMP doesn't know Python, the python is parsed by the python interpreter... Gimp can potentially support other languages (there is a Perl interface, and the devs would like to support ECMAScript)

3) Yes, if you are a plugin author (and there are already techniques for this). No, if you are a user because it's not your business. The author should give you something that works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

@ofnuts
thanks for your indications
1-may I (and somebody else) hope that a nice guru takes care of MrQ managers to operate with an EXTERNAL text file from where the directories will be taken?
2.so, the request is not valid for GIMP developers, but for Python developers, who probably do not read Gimpchat...sigh!
3-sorry to disagree about that, I guess that in every serious development language support there must be a serious error checker, and by "serious" I mean it must inform both developers and users about found errors, and particularly when the code is interpreted...as a minimum a parser - before refusing a piece of code - should be able to say "i don't understand the wording 'xxxx' which follows the understandable words 'yyyy'..."
Just a final word on point 1: so you agree with a previous post of mine where I ask GIMP to define a standard rule for plug-ins developers, so that menu entry is read from an external text file. manageable by the end user; that's comfortable to me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 am  (#30) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
@ofnuts
thanks for your indications
1-may I (and somebody else) hope that a nice guru takes care of MrQ managers to operate with an EXTERNAL text file from where the directories will be taken?
2.so, the request is not valid for GIMP developers, but for Python developers, who probably do not read Gimpchat...sigh!
3-sorry to disagree about that, I guess that in every serious development language support there must be a serious error checker, and by "serious" I mean it must inform both developers and users about found errors, and particularly when the code is interpreted...as a minimum a parser - before refusing a piece of code - should be able to say "i don't understand the wording 'xxxx' which follows the understandable words 'yyyy'..."
Just a final word on point 1: so you agree with a previous post of mine where I ask GIMP to define a standard rule for plug-ins developers, so that menu entry is read from an external text file. manageable by the end user; that's comfortable to me

1) why not ask the author? Otherwise you can make rules and recommendations but nothing says the developer will follow them. The use of a side configuration file is a well known programming "best practice" and you have at least one example where it was ignored :)

2) there are already tools for this, catching the most blatant errors such as the "inconsistent indent" introduced by incorrect editing is as simple as using "python the_script.py" outside of Gimp.

3) see 2) But anyway the messages are meant to be read by someone who knows the language. There are specific Python interpreters to help beginners (ipython).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 am  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to have the other mixPaint brush, ink bottle and paint palette that came from either gimp paint studio or gimp painter
for mixing paint, added in to the tool box so it could be turned on and off as desired. I have all the tools but don't remember
the settings required. I had this accomplished about 2 years back,but the loss of a system ended that. I haven't been able to find
the info on how to make the setting.

On an other subject I think the website should be setup to upload and download .xcf files as a standard
since that is what the feature program makes. If the web requires something different the website shuold
convert these images automatically. The BB code should do this easily, as well as setting a much better
search system, as I made a google site search for my BB site several years back that works well.

On an other note Gimp needs to create two new file type with the correct headers and a
paired down .xcf just made for web display say ".xwd" and an ".xwp" file gimp web dislay
and for webp file type.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Hi K1T!
It seems that after an initial enthusiasm about this important topic created by you, the sea looks unnaturally calm....uhm
I think you had an excellent idea, and I'd have expected a lot of interesting postings.
Well, maybe somebody missed the topic.
I put another "wish" in your (and our) list: to have an interactive function for portrait enhancement, like what is available in "Portrait Professional" for instance (not so in depth, of course, but on the right way...) to enhance the various face features: skin, eyes, mouth, expressions, as well maybe as figure features...
Hope that now - having by this post reset the topic at the top of gimp-chat list - many other chatters will enter into the subject to enrich the wishlist.
Gimp is excellent, but nothing is perfect, so enhancements are always welcome...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm  (#33) 
Script Coder

I am hoping that in the future there will be a way to hide the attributes window when doing "direct-on-canvas" text.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:37 pm  (#34) 
Global Moderator

I will go along with that one Saul.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 pm  (#35) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, everyone, for your input.
I have yet to read all the posts carefully, now I just breezed through and found some interesting ideas.
will come back later and list the features I think would make GIMP even better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 pm  (#36) 
Retired Staff

saulgoode wrote:
I am hoping that in the future there will be a way to hide the attributes window when doing "direct-on-canvas" text.
Same here.

I would like to see APNG capability included in Gimp.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm  (#37) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
I would like to see APNG capability included in Gimp.

I addressed this issue at the gimp mailing list last year and the developers seemed to be
OK with the idea but said 'a little more testing' needs to be done.
But I don't expect apng support as 'out of the box feature' until after 2.10 is released, if ever.
Firstly, the developing team is extremely shorthanded, so all the workforce is focusing on 'first things first' issues (porting GIMP to GEGL and such),
secondly, animated WebP file format draws more attention from the developers end as more perspective for high quality animations.
WebP can be the end of apng file format as it has some considerable advantages over apng.
Besides, apng has some serious limitations (like browser support and content aware websites limitations for APNGs).

What needs to be done in GIMP is a good animation tool with all necessary support pipelines. Also with timeline, dope sheet, etc.
It is one of the items on my wishlist, BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm  (#38) 
Retired Staff

I remember when I had Paint Shop Pro 7, Animation Shop was included in the software and I could access it through PSP so that PSP and AS were convenient to each other. Perhaps a separate program that was accessible by Gimp, kind of like the paint program that includes itself with Gimp.

It would keep the excess baggage out of Gimp but be accessible to it. Just a pipe dream, probably impractical but a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:24 pm  (#39) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
I remember when I had Paint Shop Pro 7, Animation Shop was included in the software and I could access it through PSP so that PSP and AS were convenient to each other. Perhaps a separate program that was accessible by Gimp, kind of like the paint program that includes itself with Gimp.

It would keep the excess baggage out of Gimp but be accessible to it. Just a pipe dream, probably impractical but a thought.

There was an idea to make GIMP completely modular (pretty much like Krita) and have auxiliary programs (modules) to do
specific tasks like animation, also to have a hub for distributing workload in GIMP (gimp satellite program similar to Adobe Bridge).
Also the guy who suggested this wanted to make the hub completely interchangeable with some other Open Source programs like Krita, Blender, MyPaint.
The idea is great but too much for one person to accomplish, the gimp developing team has more important things in hand so the idea remains to be just an idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm  (#40) 
Script Coder

One of the most interesting features that I wish were implemented in the future is the ability to reset each filter separately (since at present the only possibility is to reset them all together), by means for example of a special button placed on the relevant filter's dialog box, as it already happens for the Script-Fu scripts and the plugins written in Python actually.

Also, I think it would be worth allowing some important dialog windows, such as the Script-Fu and Python-Fu consoles, to be optionally made dockable (namely perfectly integrated in the Single Window Mode), or at least causing them to be always on top. In my opinion, this characteristic would certainly make the life easier for the scripters, when they wish to test interactively any procedure or code snippet involving open images without the bother of handling windows that overlap each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next