It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does Gimp have background eraser
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Is there such a thing as background eraser like Photoshop's. I haven't seen it so I'm assuming not. What process would you use instead? I want to remove two people from a picture and save the background and other two.
Thanks for your help,
Martieh

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Does Gimp have background eraser
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:30 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

a bit more info would be good, Martieh

what exactly does the background eraser in PS ?

there is an eraser tool in GIMP but it sounds like what you really want is render a picture ?

EDIT: just googled the BG Eraser Tool, i think the nearest thing in GIMP is the select by color tool or maybe the forground select tool

Last edited by Esper on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I'll look it up tomorrow and see if I can explain better what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks, Esper.
:tyspin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:39 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

ok

here is the link i found to research the tool you were speaking of

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photos ... s_1jet.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:03 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I've done similar removals using either the magic wand or the color select tool, but it really only works quickly and easily when you have a very plain background that is basically one color and that color is not is the part you want to save.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:08 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Would the resynthesize work for this? It is hard to know without seeing the picture you are working on.

how to remove part of foreground using resynthesize

Pat David Heal Selection

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

EDIT: just googled the BG Eraser Tool, i think the nearest thing in GIMP is the select by color tool or maybe the forground select tool
Esper

re:Resynthesizer - Good suggestion, Molly, but as far as I've been able to tell, it's not available for Mac version?? I guess that's what I'm trying to accomplish, though, what Resynthesizer does....

2ton re: magi wand, good info. Mine does have a brick wall background which I was hoping to use cloning tool for but it may not be my best choice.

So I guess I'll go research and play with these suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out or post my results.

Replies - am I supposed to be able to reply to each of you separately? If so, I'm not seeing it, :(

THanks for all your help.
Martie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:26 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

I don't know if this is a mac version of resynthesizer but you could take a look and see.

http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer/history

Compiled MacOSX 10.3.x version: resynthesizer-0.12-mac.tar.gz (thanks to Mat Caughron)

To install this, I am told you just need to move the plug-ins to "where they belong" (this can also be accomplished with "make install").
Perhaps Partha could tell you if his Mac Gimp includes resynthesizer.
Partha's Place

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Martieh wrote:
So I guess I'll go research and play with these suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out or post my results.
or just post the picture you want to use, makes it a lot easier to give advice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I'll definitely check it out. I downloaded McGimp 2.9. Love it so far though it's crashed a couple of times. Let you know what I find out.
Martie
:gimp and so does GimpChat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Martieh wrote:
Replies - am I supposed to be able to reply to each of you separately? If so, I'm not seeing it, :(

The usage is to use the quote button under a message, it quotes the messages just like I'm doing with yours, if you want to multi-quote several people then it's a little more tricky for a beginner, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbcode has all explanations you would want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:43 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

[/quote]

The usage is to use the quote button under a message, it quotes the messages just like I'm doing with yours, if you want to multi-quote several people then it's a little more tricky for a beginner, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbcode has all explanations you would want.[/quote]
Martieh wrote:
I'll definitely check it out. I downloaded McGimp 2.9. Love it so far though it's crashed a couple of times. Let you know what I find out.
Martie
:gimp and so does GimpChat

Practicing :bigthup I appreciate the direction, anarkhya, and the link!!
Martieh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:50 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I don't know if this is a mac version of resynthesizer but you could take a look and see.

http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer/history

Compiled MacOSX 10.3.x version: resynthesizer-0.12-mac.tar.gz (thanks to Mat Caughron)

To install this, I am told you just need to move the plug-ins to "where they belong" (this can also be accomplished with "make install").
Perhaps Partha could tell you if his Mac Gimp includes resynthesizer.
Partha's Place

Hi, Molly.
I found 0.14 from 2005. And I see Resynthezsize under Filters|Map in MacGimp 2.9.

Martieh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:06 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Esper wrote:
Martieh wrote:
or just post the picture you want to use, makes it a lot easier to give advice

Sorry, I missed this. Here is one of the pictures I'd like to remove one person from.
I'm also getting background shots but of course they won't be exact. So I've been playing with the lasso tool to select a figure but then wasn't sure what the best way is to remove the girl and heal the background? cloning, doing a mask, Magic wand and now, resynthesyzing?

I know there's not just one way but since I'm just learning and there are going to be several issues like this one, I thought it might be the best thing to stop floundering around and get some advice from experts.

Martieh

Attachments:
File comment: Several pictures where I would like to remove one person like this girl from the shot. I also have extra shots of some of the backgrounds.
912012kate adalyn alana john 056.JPG
912012kate adalyn alana john 056.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm  (#15) 
Global Moderator

This one is a real challenge because of all the mix and matchless background. I think I could have made it better by spending more time with it but I used the resynthesize, copy-paste, eraser, layer modes and I don't know what else.

click for larger view

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Martieh wrote:
So I've been playing with the lasso tool to select a figure
im always using the path tool and never the lasso tool

a path is automatically saved in the path tab and you can correct nodes later
also you can make much better curves with the paths tool, although that requires a bit of training

most of the times i complete the path, then make selection from path and turn the selection into a layermask
that has the advantage of being non destructive, and you can tweak a layermask by simply painting with white or black (depending on what you want to do) on it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

great job Molly! I have done similar person removals, lol...and if you have a pic of the same background without the unwanted person, then it's fairly easy. All I do is cut out the person using the lasso, and put the plain background behind it. It usually works fine, although sometimes a wee bit of cloning can help with the cut edges.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:32 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Well done Molly, that looked like a tough one!

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

It is a tough one. That is why I didn't go any further. All those different sized bricks and stuff make it almost impossible. Why would anyone get their picture taken in a black formal gown in a sewage drain? lol.
Anyway, I might have another go at it. I don't know of any other way except the resynthesizer if you want the same back ground. Doing it by removing the girl and the existing background would be a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:39 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
This one is a real challenge because of all the mix and matchless background. I think I could have made it better by spending more time with it but I used the resynthesize, copy-paste, eraser, layer modes and I don't know what else.

click for larger view

Awesome, Molly. :paint

Martieh