It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wacom bamboo with gimp?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:43 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

As some of you guys know that I've got the above mentioned! Has anybody done any painting with the tablet and how did you get on with it?

I have had a go with it this morning and it's harder then you think than using a mouse. I seen alot of speed painting but not really good tutorials for beginners like myself and few many others.

Dose anybody know of any tutorials for beginners in use the tablet please.

Thanks in advance

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Wacom bamboo with gimp?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:03 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hello.
Do you use Windows or GNU/Linux?
First as any tablet, in GIMP you must go to "Edit" - "Preferences" "Input devices" "Configure extended input devices". Select your Wacom device and set it as "Screen" mode. Then the "Save" button. After that you learn to set brush dynamics.
I have a Genius tablet that is worse than Wacom, and I do not need do anything more than that for the tablet works better than a mouse.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:14 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

No windows7 Oh thanks for that tip. I was wondering how to set up the brushes with wacom Bamboo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:26 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

I use bamboo with GIMP. When you start GIMP it will automatically recognize your tablet if you have the drivers installed right.

Bamboo supports pressure sensitivity, which is the main advantage you get (besides the ergonomy of working with a pen) against a mouse. The best way to use it is to use the brush dynamics in the tool settings of the paintbrush etc. tools. You can set the pressure to control the size, opacity or colour of the brush.

For drawing lines, sketching, inking, etc. I usually use either the paintbrush or ink tool with pressure controlling the size of the brush.

For shading, I'll use the paintbrush with a soft brush and pressure controls the opacity.

Note that it takes some time to get used to using the tablet. When you draw on paper you see what you draw, but on a tablet you need to look at the monitor while your hand is in another place, and this requires some extra hand-eye coordination. It takes some practice before you get used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:49 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

I guess there are lots of Wacom tutorials out there if you search. Here is one I came across. This may help you get started.
Wacom Tutorial

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:24 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

What are brush dynamics settings? How do I scan a photo into gimp? Everytime I ckick on file>create>scanner/cramera. It says source? I was following a tutorlial that Molly had put in for me.

Thanks Molly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:59 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Lorri, When you click on the brush tool in the tool box, you will see the brush dynamics, There is a little plus sign beside it, click that and the brush dynamics are below.
As far as the scan. I think, (correct me if I am wrong), you have to scan your image with a scanner if you have one, then open it in gimp. Your scanner would be your source.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:01 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Lorri, When you click on the brush tool in the tool box, you will see the brush dynamics, There is a little plus sign beside it, click that and the brush dynamics are below.
As far as the scan. I think, (correct me if I am wrong), you have to scan your image with a scanner if you have one, then open it in gimp. Your scanner would be your source.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:04 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Oh I've got ya Molly thanks I do have a scanner but that's not set up on my pc yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:06 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Is your scanner part of your printer, like all-in-one type? You could always save your scanned image, then open it with Gimp.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:07 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Yes it is Molly! I can't remember how to set it up it's been awhile since I've used it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 pm  (#12) 

I use a Bamboo pad with Gimp and prefer it to the mouse. Much more control and it's just mor natural feeling.

My laptop is an Apple and the preferences were straight forward from the Systems Preference. I recommend turning off the clicking sound it was pre set at. The clickclickclick with every touch of the pen to the pad drove me around the bend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

my uncle gave me one of these tablets about a month ago, i tried it and its harder for me to use it. just wished one day they will make a computer where you can use the tablet pen with the screen on your computer then i will be in business. cause drawing without looking at what your doing is hard for me...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Using a tablet is a matter of practice, as with all tools. The disconnect between where your hands are and where you are looking seems to cause different levels of difficulty for different people. I myself tried it once and never looked back, but I know some need considerably longer time to get used to a tablet - it's a personal thing, also related to your drawing style on paper (if you do large, sweeping motions with your arm with drawing, I picture you'll have a harder time to get used to a smaller tablet than I who mainly use the wrist).

I have done a bunch of tutorials on these things, notably "Setting up GIMP for artistic work" (there is a copy of it here on GimpChat) has sections on settings for a tablet.

@rdgracer71
There are tablet + screens out there. These are professional tools. You draw directly on the screen, with pressure sensitivity and everything, seeing the result appear directly under the pen tip. The proper ones are the Wacom Cintiq series. If you have $2000 to spare, go for it. ;)
Griatch

PS: The cheapest Cintiq is the Wacom Cintiq12ws (12 inch widescreen). That one retails around $1000. DS