It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gimp YouTube Series?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:05 am  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

Ok, so I clarify. I state that these tutorials are made for gimp 2.6 and some small function changes may exist in different versions?

I could put this disclaimer before each video:

"This tutorial was made using Gimp 2.6. If you are running a different versions, some functions and methods, although slight, may be different. Please mention any issues you have in the comment section below."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 am  (#52) 
Global Moderator

I'd go as far as specifying the version entirely, because believe it or not, many GIMP users still use old, outdated, versions of GIMP because they don't see the need to update or they don't understand why they need to update. So, clarifying this, would be a good point to make on the tutorial as well.

If you're using 2.6.11, beginners need to understand the benefits of that upgraded version. I don't think a majority of beginners understand the changelogs posted on the GIMP website, but it is an important factor in upgrading your GIMP version (bugfixes, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 am  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

I have to agree with Mahvin on that point.I see so many folks asking for help with Gimp-2.4 or even earlier versions of Gimp.When all they really need to do is install Gimp-2.6 to relieve themselves of most problems/bugs.
Especially when they switch over hardware.

So i think one tutorial should be on updating Gimp and the user/gimp directories.Perhaps adding the importance of adding new resources to JUST these folders, and not Gimps program directory.Because of future updates.

I think many people do not want to update because they are afraid of losing some of their new filter functionality.
Perhaps add the importance of updating because of new future tools to be added that will replace those older functions.

Actually many folks do not know you can install several different versions of Gimp simultaneously.
So maybe if they knew this, they would download the updated Gimp just to try it.Maybe then they will see what they are missing out on with Gimps new capabilities since 2.4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 am  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
I have to agree with Mahvin on that point.I see so many folks asking for help with Gimp-2.4 or even earlier versions of Gimp.When all they really need to do is install Gimp-2.6 to relieve themselves of most problems/bugs.
Especially when they switch over hardware.

So i think one tutorial should be on updating Gimp and the user/gimp directories.Perhaps adding the importance of adding new resources to JUST these folders, and not Gimps program directory.Because of future updates.

I think many people do not want to update because they are afraid of losing some of their new filter functionality.
Perhaps add the importance of updating because of new future tools to be added that will replace those older functions.

Actually many folks do not know you can install several different versions of Gimp simultaneously.
So maybe if they knew this, they would download the updated Gimp just to try it.Maybe then they will see what they are missing out on with Gimps new capabilities since 2.4

You guys have viable points here, and I think the best solution is by having a disclaimer in the description area that reads this:

"This tutorial was made using Gimp 2.6. If you are running a different version some functions and methods, although slight, may be different. I recommend using the newest version of Gimp. For a tutorial on different Gimp installation options, including installing the newest version on a trial basis without making changes to your current installation, check out the tutorial below."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 pm  (#55) 
GimpChat Member

I will not consider users of gimp-2.4 if not to suggest them to update at soon possible to last stable version.

I can't see any good reason to use such obsolete version
(even all the extra script and plugin for 2.4 are now available also updated for 2.6 )

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:14 pm  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

That is exactly what i mean PC. :)
I think that disclaimer would be perfect!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:36 pm  (#57) 
GimpChat Member

and then if anyone asks, and they're running 2.4, I'll just say "dude, UPDATE." Thanks guys, I think I'm ready to record this video now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:40 pm  (#58) 
GimpChat Member

YES !! :hehe
If you have a older version... wake up and UPDATE !

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:17 pm  (#59) 
Global Moderator

Exactly, on all points. They (users of obsolete GIMP versions) no longer have an excuse not to update. Except for Lyle and maybe two obsolete scripts, lol. Sorry, had to add that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:49 pm  (#60) 
GimpChat Member

Lylejk use gimp 2.6, the fact that preserve also gimp 1.2 for a very peculiar use is no relevant here

Humm, thinking better even lyle has no more reason (if not affective) to preserve gimp 1 or 1.2: :mrgreen:
...if i remember well i collected all his rare 1.2 scripts &plugin and with the help of Partha were all recompiled for gimp 2.7 (and should run also in 2.6)...i even traced the source code of one that even the author tought lost, and even that now run on 2.7(and 2.6 )
:geek
But in case we forgot some precious old script and plugin just start a topic on the plugin board explaing why you think useful and ..good chances will be updated

SO NO MORE EXCUSES

@Lylejk
if you are reading this..please mantain your precious collection of old gimp and old plugin :bigthup
Without that we could nnever find some gems to port to 2.7 :coolthup

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:14 pm  (#61) 
GimpChat Member

The interface lesson has been recorded. I'm working on uploading it now, and I'll post it in the tutorials section of this forum once it's in. Perhaps we could create a sticky post of the video set once they're done so everyone can get some use out of them.

On to the next one. Optimizing Gimp Performance.

1.)Explain the environment dialog, and give some rules of thumb to optimize gimp.
2.) Go over each set of tools in the preferences box, and briefly explain what each one does.
3.) Go over color management, and explain what that does.

I will explain the folders menu in a later tutorial alongside installing and adding paths.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm  (#62) 
Global Moderator

I would like to see a sub-menu in Tutorials for these particular kinds of videos, like Gimp u-tube series or a suitable name to fit. That way, they would always be together for people that are looking how to get started using Gimp and Gimp tools etc.
I find that the list is getting so long in the tutorial section that not everything can be stickied and it would be easier to find them if they are separate in their own sub-directory.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:39 pm  (#63) 
GimpChat Member

tstandiford wrote:
The interface lesson has been recorded. I'm working on uploading it now, and I'll post it in the tutorials section of this forum once it's in. Perhaps we could create a sticky post of the video set once they're done so everyone can get some use out of them.

On to the next one. Optimizing Gimp Performance.

1.)Explain the environment dialog, and give some rules of thumb to optimize gimp.
2.) Go over each set of tools in the preferences box, and briefly explain what each one does.
3.) Go over color management, and explain what that does.

I will explain the folders menu in a later tutorial alongside installing and adding paths.

What do you guys think?

I like that idea myself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:32 pm  (#64) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I would like to see a sub-menu in Tutorials for these particular kinds of videos, like Gimp u-tube series or a suitable name to fit. That way, they would always be together for people that are looking how to get started using Gimp and Gimp tools etc.
I find that the list is getting so long in the tutorial section that not everything can be stickied and it would be easier to find them if they are separate in their own sub-directory.

I can't argue that. Maybe title it "Gimp for Beginners"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:03 pm  (#65) 
GimpChat Member

I relied heavily on youtube videos before I found this forum...they really helped a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm  (#66) 
GimpChat Member

Lesson Two is being uploaded now :) Lesson three will go over various selections and will give examples of when to use each one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:02 am  (#67) 
GimpChat Member

That's ideal for me as I'm a beginner. Keep my eye on them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm  (#68) 
GimpChat Member

I ended up combinging a layers tutorial with a basic selection tutorial. I decided that I would create an advanced selection tutorial later. Uploading now. Look for Lesson 3.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next