It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp YouTube Series?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:32 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I'm planning on doing a YouTube series for the general public on my Gimped! blog, teaching someone who's never used GIMP the basics. The goal here is to give beginner information, and lay out a strong foundation for people who are too new to fully understand a tutorial. Here's the topics I'll be covering. Do you think there is anything else needs added?

What is Gimp
Interface
Tools Overview
Making Selections
Advanced Selections
Paths
Learning Brush Tool
Cloning
Text Tool
Layers & Layer Masks
Layer Modes
Non-Destructive Theory
The Colors Menu
Filters Menu

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp YouTube Series?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:41 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

That sounds like a pretty good start to me. You could always go to intermediate and advanced levels if there is a call for it later...or add more if you get requests.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:46 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
That sounds like a pretty good start to me. You could always go to intermediate and advanced levels if there is a call for it later...or add more if you get requests.

Thanks Molly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I think an in depth tutorial on each filter that actually comes with a Gimp install would be a good place to start also.
One such filter the - Filter/Map/Paper Tile

Results in this -Why?

In my opinion Gimp should come with a manual for each filter with in depth tutorials and examples.
Maybe in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:56 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

If anybody ever figures out how to make use of the Gimpressionist filter -- in a controlled, non-random, and reproducible manner -- I might even be willing to watch a YuToob video.

Last edited by saulgoode on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:16 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Comparing your list to the subjects covered on Meet The GIMP there's a few basic topics missing:
Re-Sizing
Rotating
Sharpening
Cropping

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:09 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Good idea...I think a lot of people have the totally wrong impression of GIMP...so I think that its important also to point out the similarities to other more well known image manipulation programs and the fact that its free open source. (wont cost a fortune)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
I'm planning on doing a YouTube series for the general public on my Gimped! blog, teaching someone who's never used GIMP the basics. The goal here is to give beginner information, and lay out a strong foundation for people who are too new to fully understand a tutorial. Here's the topics I'll be covering. Do you think there is anything else needs added?

Yes a very basic simple thing:
The best method to install plugin, scripts as ANY other kind of add on ,a method that that works exactly the same way for Linux ,mac and Windows
( = Load gimp, then add the path for the folder were are the plugin to be installed from Edit/preferences/folders/plugin for plugins...almost the same Edit/preferences/folders/script for script and so on for whatever else)

I tryed to explain tons of times with words...no way ! :bawl
I am so fed up to see again and again topic as "how install brush on MAC" "where is the plugin folder in Windows XP" "Could somebody made a tutorial on how to install plugin on MAC" :gaah ..when has no any importance know where is the plugin or folder
In Mac Windows or Ubuntu, it is not required to install add on

Please help !! I believe could be explained only with a video and you are very good to explain with a video

The concept is so simple:
download & unzip your add on

Put the files in a new folder WHERE YOU LIKE (i.e: Document/MyGimpAddOn/Script )
Open gimp preferences and ADD that path

But no way if explain next reply would be "yes but i use MAC not win" or "Fine but how to for Ubuntu Mint?" :gaah

We badly need a video to explain that !!

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:47 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Lol. your are so funny PC :teeth We are all guilty of all what you said above.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:50 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I know seems too simple to be worth a video
BUT are the most simple things the hardest to explain because most of people stubborny believe they MUST be much more complex !!

I believe only a good video may help for this (at least showing that , yeahh, it IS so simple ..and it WILL remain so simple even changing OS,even if facing for the very first time a totally unknow operative system)

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

OOPSS i almost forget:
in the video be very clear on the ONLY tricky point :
once in the prefrences/folder/plugin(plugin or what else) dialog BEFORE add a new path CLICK on the NEW FOLDER icon
(new folder icon should be easy to locate: it is the only icon in the dialog that looks as a folder).
Because if not you will EDIT and so DELETE one of the default path, instead then add a new!

and well...CLICK OK to apply the changes & exit :lol

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:00 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Things are only simple if you already know how to do them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:37 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

if they look in the tutorials lists here they would find most of the answers to those in any case PC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

akky wrote:
if they look in the tutorials lists here they would find most of the answers to those in any case PC

Yes they would, but everyone learns differently, and maybe how I explain the tools would be better for some.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Akky & Molly

Video tutorial are much more clear,

@ Akky you even wrote a tutorial to explain how install plugin on MAC and where is the gimp plugin folder in Mac

so maybe you have no clear that the best way to install add-on is indipendent from the Operative System, is EXACTLY the same for MAC Windows and Linux, and do NOT require to know where is the plugin folder (same script , brush , gradient orand so on ):
a new gimp plugin folder may be where you wish, even in Document

(Sure you may wish to know for other reasons where is the plugin folder
...but you may install tons of plugin without to know were is the plugin folder, same for script ,brush gradient and so on ).

Do not take as criticism, on the contrary the fact that a intelligent person as you still didn't get how install add on using gimp preferences for me is a demostration that a Video is needed to make it clear

Again not because is to complex but because is too simple while everybody expect something much more complex something requiring dig in the computer innard in search of gimp plugin folder in a misterious and sometimes well hidden "user directory"

ONLY a Video can show that ...YES IS REALLY SO SIMPLE!! and no search of hidden gimp plugin folder is needed

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:26 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

PC, I would love a video of that. It would be very beneficial to me, and probably many others.
I think a lot of us fall under the category (don't mess with it, may break syndrome). That is the way I am. Making paths is one of my many downfalls, I worry that it will go somewhere that it won't be easy to find.
If anyone is volunteering either to make a video or a text tutorial with clear images, I for one would be very grateful.
I do not understand the preferences > folder > plug-ins etc. I see two paths in every folder starting with brushes and all down the line. I am so afraid to mess with that I get short of breath, (literally).
PC, you say to make a new folder and put a path inside of it, that scares me cuz I don't know what I am doing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:10 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
PC, you say to make a new folder and put a path inside of it, that scares me cuz I don't know what I am doing.

yes you are right and for this you NEED to SEE how to in a video

There are several tutorials explaining even with images ,but i saw that are of not much help:
they seems so clear to me ...but maybe because i already know how to.(what is for me the best tutorial on this is PINNED on top of the RESOURCES board HERE viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1548...but again that could be a perfect storyboard for the Video , but written tut seems no working to explain ,doesn't matter how well are written)

Quote:
I do not understand the preferences > folder > plug-ins etc. I see two paths in every folder starting with brushes and all down the line. I am so afraid to mess with that I get short of breath, (literally).

Only 1 error is possible
as i already explained here (see quote below ) in the best way i could (well i may add a screenshoot to indicate the "new folder" icon )
Any other error you may do as example when writing the path (typo, additional blank spaces, Capital letters where should be normal or vice versa)
would have no consequences...nothing will happens:
Literally nothing, you will not install nothing but no harm or damage to gimp or to the computer

here the only "tricky" point

Quote:
the video should be very clear on the ONLY tricky point :
once in the preferences/folder/plugin(plugin or what else) dialog BEFORE add a new path CLICK on the NEW FOLDER icon
(new folder icon should be easy to locate: it is the only icon in the dialog that looks as a folder).
Because if not you will EDIT and so DELETE one of the default path, instead then add a new!

and well...CLICK OK to apply the changes & exit :lol

BUT again this in my opinion (and experience) should be explained in a VIDEO not with words

Mrs Wilbress

Last edited by PhotoComix on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 am  (#18) 
Global Moderator

I agree with PC.

The main reason we instruct people to go to single user GIMP folders (i.e. .gimp-2.6/plug-ins, scripts, brushes, etc.) is because users find creating a simple folder pointer in Edit - Preferences - Folders too complicated to understand (it's really quite simple). It really is as simple as PC suggests: you can create a folder, use any folder you wish, even folders on partitioned drives and point to them in Edit - Preferences. Once GIMP knows where to look, it will, and those resources and scripts, etc, will show up.

The main reason we instruct people to AVOID using the Global GIMP folders (Program Files/GIMP/2.0/share/) is because of the possibility of losing brushes, patterns, scripts, plug-ins, etc should GIMP be uninstalled and reinstalled. Chances are, if you use Global folders and don't have back-ups, you'll lose them in an uninstall.

Over the last few years, many brilliant GIMP enthusiasts have made very noble efforts, created beautiful tutorials and videos explaining what I have just mentioned above, and still a gluttony of users continue to ask the same line of questions. It has nothing to do with "how anyone explains the processes" because the range of tutorials and videos cover every user level of understanding. The reason, IMO, these questions continue to be asked isn't because the older tutorials are uninformative for users, it's because these new users haven't yet adapted to effectively using search engines to find them. Therein lies, in part, the real problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:39 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Over the last few years, many brilliant GIMP enthusiasts have made very noble efforts, created beautiful tutorials and videos explaining what I have just mentioned above, and still a gluttony of users continue to ask the same line of questions. It has nothing to do with "how anyone explains the processes" because the range of tutorials and videos cover every user level of understanding. The reason, IMO, these questions continue to be asked isn't because the older tutorials are uninformative for users, it's because these new users haven't yet adapted to effectively using search engines to find them. Therein lies, in part, the real problem.

That is true to an extent, but if you're a blogger and you're making tutorials it's your responsibility and obligation to make sure that you are using the correct keywords in your tutorials to ensure that the new user finds what they're looking for. It's really a 2-way street if you think about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 am  (#20) 
Global Moderator

Actually, you need to think about the other end of the spectrum just as much, if not more. Until you can create an utility program that will prove to me EXACTLY what beginners will type into a search engine query box, I'll stick with using the most common tags. There are no laws or special requirements that explain an author's responsibility to his audience. Acts of kindness do not fall under some micromanagement type protocol and policy.