It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 1:21 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 am  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
bkh1914 you may have hit on something. Perhaps a blending of Rod's technique and yours then applied like Lyle's brush. You got me thinking of how to do it now. Thanks. Gotta go play with that idea, I'll post something in a little while.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:34 am  (#32) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
lylejk wrote:
Decided to share my brush idea (also attaching brush) so that others might experiment and make it look more like the metallic metal rope. :)
Looks good at first glance, but then my amateur sailor eye catches that the strands aren't twisted in the right direction...

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
I think I'm getting close.

Step 1. Made a skinny rectangular selection with rounded corners and applied Rod's Steel_Cable_RD gradient.

Image

Step 2. Filters>Distort>Curve Bend and just played around until I got it to look half way decent.

Image

Step 3. Made a GIH brush set to Incremental and a spacing of 10 and made a horizontal stroke.

Image

Step 5. Cropped the result and added a copper colored layer and dulicated it. The first one set to Overlay and the top one to Dodge and 50% Opacity.

Image

Step 6. Merged everything and duplicated it. Moved the duplicate to the right until it looked like one piece then Alpha to selection and cropped the original.

Step 7. Got rid of the duplicate layer and duplicated the altered original twice and moved them into position to the right to make a longer cable.

Image

Getting there. Now to make a cable out of the strand. Might need your help to twist these Rod.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 am  (#34) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Draconian wrote:
I think I'm getting close.

Step 1. Made a skinny rectangular selection with rounded corners and applied Rod's Steel_Cable_RD gradient.

Image

Step 2. Filters>Distort>Curve Bend and just played around until I got it to look half way decent.

Image

Step 3. Made a GIH brush set to Incremental and a spacing of 10 and made a horizontal stroke.

Image

Step 5. Cropped the result and added a copper colored layer and dulicated it. The first one set to Overlay and the top one to Dodge and 50% Opacity.

Image

Step 6. Merged everything and duplicated it. Moved the duplicate to the right until it looked like one piece then Alpha to selection and cropped the original.

Step 7. Got rid of the duplicate layer and duplicated the altered original twice and moved them into position to the right to make a longer cable.

Image

Getting there. Now to make a cable out of the strand. Might need your help to twist these Rod.


Draconian you pretty much have it already. Just take that strand and re curve it the same way you made the brush. Then do what you just did...again. :)
What you have now looks like a rope and looks pretty good to me.Add metal overlay and some noise and i think it will pass. :bigthup


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
Thanks Rod. As soon as I completed it I tried Curve-Bend again but it distorted it so badly I gave up on it. Now that I'm back from the grocery store, I might try I-Warp or some other method. I have no clue how you twisted yours.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 pm  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Posts: 583
I used Map Object-> Cylinder with some sine curves to get my effect. Rotate around y axis makes it easy and formulaic.

_________________


"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:15 pm  (#37) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Draconian wrote:
Thanks Rod. As soon as I completed it I tried Curve-Bend again but it distorted it so badly I gave up on it. Now that I'm back from the grocery store, I might try I-Warp or some other method. I have no clue how you twisted yours.


Filters>Theirs>Pan to Bow (45 degrees)
But it only bends one spot and that is in the center. I wonder if the script could be adapted to work on one particular end of the layer (thread) somehow?

I tried IWARP, Curve Bend, and Curve Bend Between Paths. None worked for me. Filters>Distort>Twist showed a bit of promise but i didn't fool with it too much.

I suppose if you bend one end slightly (curve bend) , and then just rotate the thread after that might work.

Twist and Pan to Bow are both available via the gimp plugin registry.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 pm  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
OK; I believe I succeeded in a single thread metal rope strand. I even have (well pretty sure know) how to create a twisted rope using it with ranks with offsetted brush, but more then way too extremely lazy to do it so I pass that on to the less lazy.

Yes, I scaled down the rope. :)


Attachments:
mropeexmpl.jpg
mropeexmpl.jpg [ 51.27 KiB | Viewed 2588 times ]
rope4.7z [220.99 KiB]
Downloaded 100 times

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:55 pm  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Posts: 1785
Location: Dallas, TX
Thanks for the heads up on the two filters. When you first mentioned them I thought they were native to 2.8 and would not work in 2.6 like so many others right now. I'll have to experiment with these new toys now.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Gauntlet Throwdown
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 am  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
OK; I did figure out how to twist 3 wires, but didn't realize that I should have doubled the number of sets (used 9 sets; should have done 18). The rank idea might have worked, but couldn't figure out how to do it that way, so just copied the brush into 3 locations and rotated them for 9 changes in 120 degs (again wish I did 18 changes). Much more work then I would care to do again. May not find a use for this brush, but sharing it here anyway. If anybody knows a quick way to multiply the transitions without have to do this manually, please let me know. Note that the small individual strand needs to spin at a faster rate then the overall 3 wire twist. Very challenging though I did figure it out, I had to do it manually and 27 total transitions was painful enough so there's gotta be a better way, but I am way too tired to figure that one out right now. lol

Good night. :zzzz

:)


Attachments:
sample.png
sample.png [ 208.88 KiB | Viewed 2559 times ]
rope5.7z [1.29 MiB]
Downloaded 110 times

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group