It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welded Gimp Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

something I tried a while ago now, forgot what settings I'd originally used so have spent the past few days going over the old xcf file studing the layers and trying to work out how I had done it.
I think I'm close to the original, so here goes.

1. Open a new image 512px * 512px and fill with colour "b6afa9"
2. Create a new transparent layer, Select this layer.
3. Go Filters>Noise>Hurl use settings as per image.

4. Go Colours>Desaturate check Luminosity and click OK.
5. Go Filters>Blur>Motion Blur and use settings per image.

6. Change Layer mode of top Layer to "Overlay"
7. Go Layer>Merge down.
8. Go Image>Guides>New Guides and place horizontal guides at 128,256 & 384 also place Vertical guides at 128,256 & 384.
9. Select the text tool :text, I'm using settings below but you may need to adjust depending on the font you choose and the text you enter, I've typed "GIMP".

10. Go Layer>Autocrop layer then select the :move Move tool and position layer as shown below, go Layer>Layer to image size.

11. Go Layer>Transparency>Alpha to Selection.
12. Go Select>To Path then Select>None.
13. Create a new Transparent Layer.
14. From tool box select the :elipse Elipse Selection Tool then start to draw a selection
15. In the Elipse Selection Dialogue Window enter the values as shown below.

16. From tool box select the :rectsel Rectangle Selection Tool, In the Rectangle Selection Dialogue Window, change mode to :addcur Add to Current Selection.
17. Then draw a Rectangle Selection, see image below.

18. Fill your Selection with White, then Go Select>To Path then Select>None.
19. Merge this selection Layer with your Text Layer and then tick the Lock alpha box.

20. Set foreground Colour to b87333 and fill Layer.
21. Go Layer>Transparency>Alpha to Selection.
22. Create a new Transparent Layer, Select this layer.
23. Go Filters>Noise>Hurl use the same settings as last time.
24. Go Colours>Desaturate check Luminosity and click OK.
25. Go Filters>Blur>Motion Blur and use settings per image.

26. Change Layer mode of top Layer to "Overlay"
27. Go Layer>Merge down, go Select>None.
28. Create a new Transparent Layer and name it "Weld" Select this Layer.
29. Your Layers should look the same as image below.

30. Go to your Brush Dialogue Window and select the brush Circle 19(21*21)
31. Change spacing of brush to 10.5, this is the brush size 21/2.

32. From Tool Box select the :brush PaintBrush Tool and change settings to the ones shown in image.

33. Just for reference the jitter setting is the brush size 21*2 and the gradient selected is "Default".

NOTE:- For those using Gimp 2.8 hopefully this link will help with the brush settings
how-to-use-color-from-gradient-in-gimp-2-8

34. Go to your Paths Dialogue Window and select the path which contains the shape design, then select :pap Paint Along Path.

35. In the Window that pops up make sure settings are as shown in the image below then click Stroke.

NOTE:- I'm going to assume that if your using Gimp 2.8 then you'll need to also check the Emulate Brush Dynamic box.

36. Go to your Brush Dialogue Window and select the brush Circle 09(11*11)
37. Change spacing of brush to 5.5, this is the brush size 11/2.
38. From Tool Box select the :brush PaintBrush Tool and change the jitter settings to .22
39. Just for reference the jitter setting is the brush size 11*2 and the gradient selected is "Default".
40. Go to your Paths Dialogue Window and select the path which contains the text, then select :pap Paint Along Path.
41. In the Window that pops up make sure settings are still the same as shown in the image above then click Stroke.
42. Your Image and Layers should be the same as images below.

43. We need to make the weld more bumpy looking so with your weld layer selected go Filter>Light & Shadow>Lighting Effects
44. Select the tab bump, then tick the box Enable bump Mapping and make sure your weld layer is set as the bump map image

45. Select the tab Light, then change settings to those shown in the image then click OK.

46. Go Layer>Transparency>Alpha to Selection, Important point, this selection will remain for almost the rest of the tutorial.
47. Create a new Transparent layer and call it "Weld Colour", fill this layer with the colour e6e6e6, then move this layer to below the "weld" Layer.
48. Select the Weld Layer and Change Layer Mode to Overlay.

49. Duplicate the weld Layer two times, and select the top layer should be called "Weld copy#1"
and change Layer Name to "Shadow".
50. Still with the Shadow Layer selected go Filters>Edge Detect>Sobel and use settings as per image below.

51. Change Layer mode to Burn and Reduce Opacity to 25%.

52. Duplicate the Layer Shadow and change Layer mode to Subtract and Opacity to 75%

53. In layers Dialogue select the Layer named "Weld Copy" and then add new Transparent layer and call it "Weld Shape", select this layer.
54. You don't have too do this but I'm going to turn off all other layers expect "Weld Shape", the reason is so you can see what effect these next few steps have and what it should look like.

55. From the Toolbox select the :blend blend tool and change settings to those shown in the image, Gradient used is "Default"

56. Anywhere on your image just draw a blend line as normal and you should end up with the image shown below.

57. Change Layer mode to Grain Merge, duplicate this layer and on the duplicated Layer change Opacity to 50%
58. Go Select>None.
59. Switch on all layers, your image and layers should be the same as below.

60. The last part of the tutorial is to create a layer to give the impression that the metal when welded has been affected by the heat, because we have two different sized welds then the heat patterns will be slightly different.
61. Select the Layer Named "Gimp", this my be different if you typed in another name, should be second from bottom.
62. Create a new Transparent Layer and call it "Tarnished", Select the layer named "Weld Colour" and using the :fuzzsel Fuzzy Select Tool click somewhere on your weld pattern.

63. Go Select>Grow, enter the value 42 (this is the original Brush size 21*2) and click OK.
64. Select the layer "Tarnished" and from tool Box select :blend blend tool, change Gradient to "Full Colour Saturation CW" and blend layer, see Image Below.
65. Go Select>None.

66. Select the Layer Named "Weld Colour" and from tool box select the Fuzzy Select Tool in the Fuzzy select Tool Dialogue window change mode to :addcur Add to Current Selection.
67. Click on each letter in turn to create a selection for your text.
68. Go Select>Grow, enter the value 22 (this is the original Brush size 11*2) and click OK.
69. Select the layer "Tarnished" and from tool Box select :blend blend tool, change Gradient to "Full Colour Saturation CW" and blend layer.
70. Go Select>None, Your Image should be the same as below.

71. Go Layer>Transparency>Alpha to Selection
72. Go Layer>Mask>Add Layer Mask and select Black as shown below then click OK.

73. make sure Layer mask is Selected, should have a white box around it, then fill selection with White.

74. Go Select>None then go Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur, set X & Y to 50 then click Ok, This should of blurred the Layer Mask.
75. Click on the tarnished Layer "Image Thumbnail" to select it, should have a white box around it when selected and the repeat the Gaussian Blur.

76. Finally Change Layer mode to "Grain Extract" and set Opacity to 25%
77. And this should be your result.

Last edited by he4rty on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Welded Gimp Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:13 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Very nice tutorial he4rty, but I am stuck on step # 29, the beginning of the Weld layer. Obviously you are using Gimp 2.8 so I don't know how to make it stroke with a gradient. It doesn't show that in the tute except in the dialogue. I knew how to do it in 2.6 but it was sort of taken away in 2.8, and when I did the stroke, I ended up with a big fat orange stroke.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:45 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

wow, very detailed tutorial he4rty !

i didnt try it yet, but i just wanted to say, you probably could make scars with this technique as well

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:09 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Molly - Unfortunately I'm using gimp 2.6, so I wouldn't have a clue about setting gimp 2.8 to stroke using a gradient, hopefully somebody will post soon to help us both out.

Done some searching and came across this link how-to-use-color-from-gradient-in-gimp-2-8

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:43 am  (#5) 

I am trying to design a logo for my husband's welding company. This is exactly what I had in mind. We do not have a lot of funds to dedicate to logo design right now as we are just getting it off the ground. How much would you charge to do that in this font?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:15 pm  (#6) 

conbagui, that's awesome!!! How do I do it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:00 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Sramos - Welded metal text in less than 2 minutes using Graechan's 'antique metal script' - there are a couple of parameters to play with for different effects ...

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned