It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Simplification - the key to drawing
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:08 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Reducing an object to simple geometric shapes makes it far easier to draw the object. Once the basic shapes are established it becomes a simple case of judging angles and proportions. Oscar here was drawn around an oval.

By first fixing one or two key elements it becomes easy to see where everything else goes.

Usually you need to use more than one shape. I started this swan with a distorted rectangle and an oval.

Spaces form shapes too and drawing them as such helps to position other elements correctly.

By using simplification and a small amount of knowledge of facial proportions I was able to knock up this face in a couple of minutes without reference.

If you're totally new to drawing, try some simple shapes like these.

OK I cheated with the tree, I used Gimp Paint Studio tree foliage but you get the idea.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Simplification - the key to drawing
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:27 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Great post! :D *kinda like a tut ;P*

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks. One day it'll get buried, never to be seen again, but in the meantime, hopefully somebody will benefit from it. Besides which it keeps me amused!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:40 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

But you never know...one day it could be bumped!

"In the face of adversity, there's three things: fly, freeze or fight; We're choosing to fight..."- Guy Boucher, Tampa Bay Lighting Head Coach

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:03 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I use similar idea for automated renders since I don't draw. Anisotrophic smoothing is your friend for the fakers like me. Simplication is more then very important otherwise your result will look like a perverted photo. Going to share you an illustration (link anyway) of something that I did the other day. Used all kinds of things (including a lot of GIMPy things) but it all boils down to simplication. :)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=41540808

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:11 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent. I touched on the idea at the end of my pencil sketch effect tute. By duplicating a photo layer and putting the top layer into dodge mode, you get a great simplified effect ready to turn into a fake drawing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 pm  (#7) 

All my best figures start as stick figures, and if they are humans often times its triangles that make up the torso and hips, and the geometry of the arms and legs believe it or not...

Breaking down the object is certainly a fantastic way to draw the whole. I used to start with details and find myself with disproportionate figures and airplanes, or with drawings outside the 'safe area' of my work making for LOWSY compositions! Honestly, I couldn't figure it out until I ran across the idea of drawing the whole specifically laid out in a book about engraving firearms! I never found such an important lesson so clearly stated since.

Yup, this is an important process, getting the outline of the form, the 'gross' shape before getting into the 'fine' shapes of the details. Its certainly something I still struggle with! Especially for aircraft!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:23 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I was thinking, maybe start with a cross for aircraft and build geometry on top. Stick figures are useful for people and animals, especially because they make it easier to produce natural poses. When you concentrate too much on form, your figures become very static. Even though I don't do Manga, I find Manga techniques very useful for drawing people because they simplify the process really well.