It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The future of editing.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I believe that I mentioned node editing in the past (here and definitely elsewhere). Oscar (MediaChance) is working on just such an editor and, again, this is the future of editing. Layers are so yesterday. I had to use similar interfaces when I was an Electrical Engineer (used both Simulink and LabVIEW) so the interface is very intuitive to me. Self-documenting editors is going to be the next great thing to photo-editing sooner then later. You can also easily re-use your nodes since you can save them for just that. Oscar even is going to allow you to save the nodes as embedded meta data in jpegs (only adds maybe 30K or so the the file size) so your documented flow will actually be stored in the jpeg itself; fantastic stuff. Just wanted to share a screenshot (result is not so good; just getting familiar with the inteface). Being able to share a layer and branch out the layer to other controls then re-mix them is not such a trivial task in conventional editors such as Photoshop or GIMP but it is quite a trivial thing to do in a node editor such as Photoreactor. Click here for the main support thread for PhotoReactor. Hopefully Oscar will release this gem soon.

As a side note, I do know that node editors used in programs such as Filter Forge and PostworkShop Pro do exist now, but I do like Photoreactor's node interface better. I guess I do because it, from the get go, is geared to photo-editing at the start whereas PostworkShop is more geared to photo-art rendering and FilterForge for effect rendering. Anyway, your thoughts? I believe GEGL will give GIMP this gift of node-editing should the developers choose to add this feature for editing. :)

Psalm 109:8

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The future of editing.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

I'd be careful what you wish for Lyle. ;)

I'm using LabVIEW as part of my job and trying to avoid creating spaghetti code is one of the challenges, but it's a challenge some people don't accept:

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Labview-Spaghetti.aspx

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Never got so complex with what I had to use Labview for in doing test setups Kevin. lol

Don't believe most photo-edits will get this complex either. Still cool that you can go that far if need to with Labview. It's definitely a powerful way to program for controls.

As a side note, I'm still saddened that I couldn't stay in Engineering but life goes on. Kudos to your career and hope it lasts longer then my 10 year stint. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:39 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Very interesting!
As for me, a free program for setting "actions" - the best program – XnConvert.
(80 shares in any configuration - and what the most important out a record setting).
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6993
We look forward to sharing this program.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:51 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

How do you use it in GIMP MareoQ? Also, do you have access to it's PS filter interface? If so, this would probably be a faster way to do PS filters then use Shellout. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:40 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

paynekj wrote:
I'd be careful what you wish for Lyle. ;)

I'm using LabVIEW as part of my job and trying to avoid creating spaghetti code is one of the challenges, but it's a challenge some people don't accept:

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Labview-Spaghetti.aspx

Kevin

You haven't seen what one can do with Websphere Integration Developer :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:47 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
I believe that I mentioned node editing in the past ........... such an editor and, again, this is the future of editing. Layers are so yesterday. I guess I do because it, from the get go, is geared to photo-editing at the start whereas PostworkShop is more geared to photo-art rendering and FilterForge for effect rendering. Anyway, your thoughts? I believe GEGL will give GIMP this gift of node-editing should the developers choose to add this feature for editing. :)

I don't think that graph-based image editing will completely replace layers, lyle. At least in GIMP it won't.
Not because GIMP devs have never thought of it (they did consider node editing) but because node editing isn't that straightforward and simple, even with backdrop image for real-time preview.

I'm thinking Hybrid system (layers-nodes) is the future for GIMP. Fact is, node editor would be a huge step towards completely non-destructive image editing.
But layers get simpler tasks done much quicker.
I'm dealing with material node and compositor node editing in Blender. But it gets very complicated and cumbersome at times.
Here is an example of the material setup for just 1 blender object.

Simple things such as making a mask or blurring a selection can be done with Blender node editor too but it is more troublesome than using raster editors' layer architecture. This is why 3D artist are using extensively post-production in PS or GIMP for more or less simple tasks.

There is another thing. To get this to work GIMP needs more that just GEGL. XCF specs need to be changed to support nodes and store this data, and maybe even the entire gimp core.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

The hybrid situation is what PostworkShop Pro uses K1Te. I believe that this could be done in GIMP too; still believe node editing is going to be a significant advance since you can reuse your node interface for other image sources. We shall see. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Isn't MathMap considered a node editor?
I think it's open source and dormant?
I'd be happy if an active fork happened.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:56 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Mathmap indeed has a node interface but it's sort of way too clunky Odin.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:34 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

You can now test - but it probably will not be free ...
http://www.mediachance.com/reactor/index.html

Attachments:
PhotoReactor1.png
PhotoReactor1.png [ 549.58 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]
PhotoReactor2.png
PhotoReactor2.png [ 431.59 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

Slava
Ukraini!
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:18 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I actually plan on buying this one as soon as Oscar releases it as long as I perceive the cost to be reasonable MareroQ. Oscar make some top notch programs; big DAP user as you may already know. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:10 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
I actually plan on buying this one as soon as Oscar releases it as long as I perceive the cost to be reasonable MareroQ. Oscar make some top notch programs; big DAP user as you may already know. :)

I agree.Their software is very good.I have had Auto Painter for quite some time now.