It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Linux Based Digital Audio Workstation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:52 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

I've finally finished putting together my DAW and wanted to share some photos. It's amazing the quality of free digital audio software that's available.

Hardware
M-audio Keystation Pro 88 controller keyboard
Echo Layla 24bit Multi-track digital recording module (8 inputs/10 outputs /2 SPDIF/Midi in/out/through)
Roland U220 External Synth Module
E-MU Hammond B3 Organ Emulator
Mackie 16 channel / 4 bus mixer
Alesis Studio Monitors
Onkyo Stereo Receiver
Dell Dimension Desktop & 19" LCD panel /w Echo Layla PCI interface card.

Software
Fedora 14 with RealTime low latency kernel and packages from Planet CCRMA repository
Ardour Multi-track digital recording system with effects racks
Rose Garden Multi-track Midi Sequencer/Digital Recorder/Notation Editor
Qsynth Software Synthesizer (digital sampled Sound font based)
Bristol Software Synthesizer (models classic analog synths and organs)
ZynAddSubFx Software Synthesizer (analog based)
Phasex (experimental analog soft syth)
Hydrogen Drum Machine
Jack Rack

Just to name a few....

Time to have some fun!! Image

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Linux Based Digital Audio Workstation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:16 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Got any clients lined up? Got your own little studio right there, hahaha!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

You need to add this one to the computer geek thread Tux; Wow is an understatement. I only dabbled in computer audio. Looks like you are definitely a man of many talents. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Suhweetness!

One of the biggest mistakes I've encountered in home studio setups is the lack of a home stereo playback system, or employment of a poor one. And "poor" not necessarily meaning "low quality"; if one is to produce releasable CDs, the final result should be listened to on a broad range of listening equipment -- from headphones to "ghetto blasters" to audiophile systems.

The Echo Layla interface looks nice, but my needs are currently not so high. Any suggestions on a four track interface (that works well with GNU/Linux)?

I love all the software synthesizer modules available in GNU/Linux; my only gripe is not having enough time to sample them all (NPI) -- in addition to my lack of keyboard talent. Also, as an aside, I've recently been playing around with Traverso and growing to like its interface.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Founder

mahvin wrote:
Got any clients lined up?

I haven't considered that but it's not a bad idea. I could even take the recording equipment mobile and record bands onsite. Maybe I'll put an AD on Craig's List and try to make some extra cash.

lylejk wrote:
I only dabbled in computer audio.

I've collected most of that equipment from years of playing in various bands and needing to record demos and original tunes. The M-Audio Keyboard is a fairly new purchase, being I've worn out all my Roland keyboards. I'm pretty happy that I've been able to abandon Windows and Adobe Audition. Windows is a poor environment for digital recoding. It's such a resource hog.

saulgoode wrote:
One of the biggest mistakes I've encountered in home studio setups is the lack of a home stereo playback system, or employment of a poor one. And "poor" not necessarily meaning "low quality"; if one is to produce releasable CDs, the final result should be listened to on a broad range of listening equipment -- from headphones to "ghetto blasters" to audiophile systems.

You are so right. It's a struggle to mix tunes which sound good across a range of playback equipment. Mixing is an art and a science. I'm an adequate engineer but I'm never completely happy, no matter how much time I spend mixing. You lose so much when going from 10-12 tracks of 16bit or 32bit audio to a single stereo track, then to make matters worse, a compressed MP3.

Another aspect that's too often overlooked is the arrangement of the tune and the voicing of the instruments. Having 3 instruments banging out the same or similar chord in the same register produces muddy sound. Good mics and quality musical instruments are also critical.

saulgoode wrote:
The Echo Layla interface looks nice, but my needs are currently not so high. Any suggestions on a four track interface (that works well with GNU/Linux)?

You might want to take a look at Echo MiaMIDI - 4 Input / 4 Output or the Echo Gina3G 10 Input/14 Outputs. Both of these products are high quality and retail for between $150 $200. Linux has excellent kernel drivers for most echo products. The Layla was plug and play in Linux. Sometimes I see good deals on used echo products on eBay.

saulgoode wrote:
I love all the software synthesizer modules available in GNU/Linux; my only gripe is not having enough time to sample them all (NPI) -- in addition to my lack of keyboard talent. Also, as an aside, I've recently been playing around with Traverso and growing to like its interface.

I hear you on the time constraints. There is so much stuff out there. Seems I sit down and before I know it, 5-6 hours have gone by and it's 4am.

Traverso looks nice. I see it's in my repos. I'll definitely check it out. Does it have real time effects plug-ins?

One of the attractive features of Ardour is the plethora of real time effects that are freely available. Planet CCRMA has been an excellent resource, with repos that contain the RT kernel and a huge selection of audio application and effects plug-ins.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:32 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Wow!

That's a pretty nice setup there. I've only played with Audacity.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I know, at least in my immediate location, there are literally dozens of garage bands who'd sign up for CD recording of their live performances/practices. Most bands are currently using simple audio cards on laptops for mixing and recording and the quality is not that great. My neighbors are doing the same thing (laptop mixing and recording). One thing I can clearly vouch for Portland is we have a huge homegrown music base. Not sure how your location would fare, but the kids I talk to here are always looking for better CD samples to pass around. So, I would definitely test the waters, GnuTux, you might be surprised how many bites you get.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Yes but do you have enough speakers? A couple of 22" woofs a foot on each side of your head would work nicely.

Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

merrak wrote:
That's a pretty nice setup there. I've only played with Audacity.

Audacity is a good tool. I've used it in Windows and Linux.

mahvin wrote:
I know, at least in my immediate location, there are literally dozens of garage bands who'd sign up for CD recording of their live performances/practices. I would definitely test the waters, GnuTux, you might be surprised how many bites you get.

Same here. There's tons of bands around. i don't know how much Rap or HipHop i could stand but I guess if the price is right... :hehe

I'm going to seriously consider this and get an AD ready for Craig's List. Maybe a flyer at several local music stores might be good as well.

Gms9810 wrote:
Yes but do you have enough speakers? A couple of 22" woofs a foot on each side of your head would work nicely.

Well, I sold off my PA system (Peavey 18" Subs @ 800wpc & 15" 3way @ 400wpc) when I tired of performing and doing the "Band Thing". Keeping a band together is a major hassle and after 20 years, it can get old.

All you really need for studio mixing is a good set of studio monitors like the Alesis monitor one's (bottom set of speakers in my photo). I added the larger cabinets on top, just in case I want to jam. However, I do still have a large 15" Craig keyboard amp & four Sonic 12" stage monitors if I need more power. :mrgreen: