It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This is an extension to my earlier tutorial on adding G'MIC to a Mac
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:02 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Add G'MIC to GIMP on Mac OS X 10.6.7 and add a filter code to GMIC later.

1. download G'MIC for your version of Mac OS.
2. open zipped file and place G'MIC into the plug ins file for GIMP by following the instructions below:
A. Download G'MIC for your OS from specified link.
B. Go to Home Folder users/library/application support/gimp/plug-ins and add G'MIC to plug-in folder
C. Open GIMP and go to edit /preferences/folders/plug-ins.
In the right hand pane at the top you will see five control icons. Click the far left icon (sheet of paper with the corner folded down). This will activate the type-in field to the right of the control icons. To the right of the type-in field there is a folder icon. Click and browse your file system and select your equivalent of /Users/akkadia2/Library/Application Support/Gimp/plug-ins (In point of actual fact when I did it that was already in that line, so all I had to do was click OK and BINGO!!)
Click OK at bottom right of the preferences dialog. Restart GIMP and G'MIC should appear in the 'Filters' menu provided you are using the correct version.

To add a G'MIC filter code, write or copy and paste the code to TextEdit. When done, go to Format/Make Plain Text/convert to plain text . Save. do not save as or any other save…just plain save…with no extension…use the title .gmic it will save directly to the correct place without any prompting or moving to any other place.

open any image in GIMP and go to Filters/GMIC /about/additional filters uncheck all of the check list then click ok… recheck all of the boxes then click ok again…you should then find that all of the filters including the one you have added are present.

just an edit/postscript...I see a lot of people saying its just a small black box I see with gmic on it...that is quite correct and exactly what it is..don't be alarmed by that...just put it in the correct place and allow it to do its job.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: This is an extension to my earlier tutorial on adding GMIC to a Ma
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:27 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Nice tut Akky

point B is superfluos i mean there is no need for the gmic folder to be in a gimp plugin folder,
may be where you like (as example in Document ),the main point is your point C (add the path for the folder in gimp preference)

B is required only if C is skipped (no new path added in preference )
and to make B working the gmic files and the _gmic subfolder should be first extracted from the gmic folder, and then you have to add the files inside the foldernot the folder

Mrs Wilbress

Post subject: Re: This is an extension to my earlier tutorial on adding GMIC to a Ma
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:52 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I found that if it wasnt in the folder it just didnt work for me.
and as well I needed that path to be there...I battled with it for days ..
It was only when the path was added that I got somewhere with it.

edit: if it wasnt in the 'plug-ins' folder

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Akky:

David from G'MIC has asked for you to post your tutorial for Macs on the Flickr site. It would be a great idea, since it is a G'MIC issue. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Oh gosh has he read it...does it make sense to everyone else because it makes perfect sense to me...I just hope I havent left anything oput but I guess people can always come and ask me how I did it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

I think he did read it. He made a comment about it. You can always edit your posts, if you need to fix or correct something. Don't worry too much about it. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:33 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ok I have posted it with an edit or two as I was repeating myself

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:34 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Oh...and Mahvin...thanks for sticking with it for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

You're welcome! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the tut, Akky! I can't get to trying it out until after our vacation, but week after next I plan on giving it a go.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton let me know if you have a problem with it as I think I am now an expert LOL..

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Lol. Leaving tomorrow and won't be back for a week. Then after catching up at home I will try. If it works then you certainly will have earned the 'expert' title.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks. There's bound to be someone asking me and now I know where to link them to. :)